Bittorent works on PC but throttled on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by runninmac, Sep 19, 2006.

1. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Ever since I first got my MacBook I havn't been able to get above 2 kB/s on Azureus, not a biggie because all I needed was my diggnation episodes so I just used the dirrect http downloads, but then I wanted to download an episode on my PC and I decided to try the torrent version. To my surprise it downloaded at speeds over 40 kB/s. I use Azureus on both Mac and PC and I thought I had the settings the same. Any suggestions?

2. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

jamesmcd

I've noticed this a lot too. At first I thought that my PC was doing automatic configuration of my router, but after checking the port forwarding they are all set right.

I have no idea why this is, but I now use Windows to download with BitTorrent.

3. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

try transmission on mac. i love azuereus on PC but on mac i find it clunky.

also, i'm heard alot of bad things about using port 6881 [pretty sure that's default]. supposedly you can be blacklisted on you ISP. so be careful of that.

i set my pc using azereus and my macs using transmission each using a a different port, set my router up for port forwarding, and i download at around 200kbps on all computers.

note: are you behind a router?

4. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Get Transmission

Make sure you port forward correctly

You win.

5. runninmac thread starter macrumors 65816

runninmac

Ok thanks! Ill try transmition. Is there a way to encrypt my B-torrent traffic? Also what port do you suggest (im behind a standard linksys router)

edit: im smart and relised i could look up my PC's port that it uses so ill just use that

6. uneducated dave macrumors member

azereus works fine on my new imac...i downloaded an album in about ten minutes, speed was about 70kb/s.

7. twistmac macrumors member

twistmac

Transmition is a great BT app. I have a linksys router too, I didn't open any special port, I just use what was default.