BitTorren works over 56k modem but not school network via ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by motulist, Feb 17, 2004.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

Dec 2, 2003
    I tried running BitTorrent at home and it works fine. I go to school to use their big pipes via my ethernet and it does not work. It never finds the trackers or connects to any peers. Is there a setting I need to put in somewhere? A setting in network preferences? A setting in BitTorrent? A moc os security setting? I'm at a loss. Any ideas?

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Your school has most likely blocked access. Most schools I know of do this. You're probably out of luck.
  3. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    unis are serious about p2p now, they firewall almost everything and block a ton of ports can are used for gaming and chats. so unless u get cozy with the admin or learn to bypass the system you will just have to learn not to p2p.

oh the pain. but ur uni may have a internal p2p network set up by students under the unis noes
  4. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2003
    St Helens, UK
    g/f has a amusing senario at her uni, they only unblock ports if you request them specficilly and which ports to unblock... that stops the good 70-80% of people at the uni with access (as most dont know what ports are and the rest dont know what ports). I just gave her a list of ports and said take them to the network guys, and they did it.

Strange place.