BitTorrent chief warns DRM is bad for iTunes

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Sep 22, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

Jul 5, 2003
  2. macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    Ugh, at least come up with a better reason than the opportunity to sell advertising. :p
  3. macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2006

I think the future will not be marked by digital rights management. It will be marked by advertising-supported content that's clear of DRM, because the content publisher wants it to be as widely distributed as possible and consumed over as many platforms as possible.

Come on - napster is trying that right now. Look at the HUGE success they are having. People need to get over it and realize that neither the music of movie companies will agree to their stuff running around for free. As well they shouldn't - they spent money, time and effort making that stuff I'm not against them making some coinage for an effort well done...
  4. macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Free + Advertising is not free.

I'd much rather pay a nominal amount and not have to deal with advertising, i HATE advertising.
  5. macrumors 65816

Aug 10, 2006
    I buy TV programs on DVD to be avoid the massive amounts of commercials you get on the tube.
  6. macrumors regular

Feb 28, 2006
    Zanzibar Land
    Unfortunately they cram too many commercials on DVDs now too!! Arg!
  7. macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    Not to mention the ads and previews at the movies - I don't mind previews but the ads are getting out of control. The last movie I went to had a "pre-show" that went for 25 minutes.
  8. macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    "Have you had an accident and it wasnt your fault?" :D

I freakin hate all the car insurance and compensation ads on TV at the moment. *Moment = past 5 years!
  9. macrumors member

Aug 11, 2006
    I know exactly what you mean...Chris Rock was talking about these ads

"Do you go to bed at night..and wake up in the morning?"

Avoiding ads is a good thing for sure

10. macrumors newbie

May 16, 2006
    I think iTunes DRM solution works really great and is very generous.

I'd say Apple don't need to worry 'bout it.
    It's always people who wants everything for free that is arguing about the DRM.
    And I would NEVER buy music that came with some kind of advertising!

What needs to be targeted is the problem with all the different DRM systems that is not compatible.
    What I think Apple should do is to let a selected few high quality devices like sony walkmans and the best mobilephone brands be able to play itunes store music.
  11. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    "because the content publisher wants ...."

Who, if not the content publisher, WANTED DRM in iTunes? Apple surely is not the driving force behind the need for DRM. The RIAA is. DRM is something the "content publisher" DEMANDED or else iTunes would never have been allowed to exist.
  12. macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    I'm pretty fed up with advertising. It's bad enough on Disney DVDs but even going to the movies and paying $14 is terrible. Recently, I went to see Hollywoodland and the ads showing before the movie ran 20-25 minutes! We were ready to leave the auditorium and demand our money back!