BitTorrent Crashing Internet!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Frozone, May 31, 2006.

1. Frozone macrumors 6502

All day long BitTorrent has been working fine for me. I was the only person using the internet and BitTorrent was doing great. I ended up opening up one of the ports that it recommended to open up and the downloads got faster and everything was still fine.

Well, tonight, everything just sucks! For some reason BitTorrent keeps crashing the internet in my house. I usually have to end up resetting the DSL & Router box. I remember it doing this some a whlie back, but I was on a different router (a D-Link.) I'm now on a Netgear WGT624.

I figured maybe it was something else causing the problems, but I've been sitting here for a while now without BitTorrent running and my net hasn't gone down at all. But tried opening BitTorrent and after about a minute or so...net goes crap. So, then I figured maybe it was just the program BitTorrent. I downloaded the Universal Azureus application, but that too crashed my net whenever I was going through the set-up and it was testing a port.

This is VERY agrivating! Anyone know anything I can try? Your help is MUCh appreciated!

EDIT: Alright, my brother just went to bed so I decided to load BitTorrent back up and see how things go, and so far the internet seems stable. Everything is fast. =S

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Where was everyone else? At the beach? ;)

(Seriously, I thought this was going to be a thread about how BitTorrent users are consuming so much bandwidth that the Internet is collapsing under the strain.)

(And no, I don't have any suggestions as to how to fix this problem.)

3. Frozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Parents at work and my brother was taking his summer courses at his school.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

My point was that it sounded like you were the ONLY person using the entire Internet.

5. zach macrumors 65816

zach

i believe you're saturating your bandwidth, mate. it's not actually killing your internet, it's just making it appear to be dead.. if you're using azureus or some program with a bit of control, limit your upload and download rates to approx. 80% of your maximum speeds and you should be fine. show up in IRC if you need me or janey to walk ya through it ^_^

6. Frozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Alright, I jinxed myself. It went down again. =X

7. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

my old isp admitted (well a friendly service guy) that the dont like torrenters and will break up the connection. They dont like us using the bandwidth and having other people complain about their service sucking.

8. Frozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Okie. *heads to IRC*

9. janey macrumors 603

janey

I'm not here.

10. zach macrumors 65816

zach

oh riiight.

11. Frozone thread starter macrumors 6502

12. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

haha I saw this and thought it was refering to the entire internet...'specially after seeing [website name removed] being raided and so forth...

Oh well, the internet was fun while it lasted! :)

Oh, and about the crashing bittorent...what kinds of D/L and U/L were you getting? If they were obscenely high you may just be using all of your available inter-net-ness (bandwith).

13. x86 macrumors regular

x86

I have had the same problem. After I capped Azureus to 20KB max upload, the problem went away. I'm still not sure if it was my router crashing or my cable modem...

14. Frozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Um, one was getting about 105 down. The other around 50.

I stopped the 105 one and the other one jumped up to around 80. Everything was fine until just now. It's went about again.

*waits for net to come back so he can post*

15. Frozone thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I have BitTorrent set to a 20kb max upload, but there's nothing in it to cap the download.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yeah, I've found limiting the upload speed can keep your router from being overloaded. The download speeds don't seem to matter. I cap mine at 30kb/s.

e

17. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I've found that limiting my U/L speeds brings down my D/L speed, so I cap U/L at 40 and have an unlimited D/L...my internet has never crashed. Well. It has, but thats pretty random and generally has very little to do with Bittorrent and more with how much Comcast hates me on a particular day. For example when the internet died for 5 minutes during the the keynote back in January. gahhh comcast *shakes fist*.

Anyway, I have no idea what could be wrong; if you were getting 600k/b per second I would say you just overloaded everything but that dosen't seem to be the case.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's supposed to happen, in part to encourage people to upload as much as they can, rather than just give 5% of their total upstream capacity, while downloading as fast as others can send it. It's better for the hord-er, swarm. :p

And since everyone else is posting their upload caps, I went from 25KB/s -> 50KB/s -> 210KB/s, and I'm now running the AutoSpeed plugin in Azureus, which drops/raises the max speed dependent on ping times.

19. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I had this problem with BitTorrent, i'd lose my connection after about 15 minutes. i changed my ports to 50000 instead of the default and that stopped it. Uploads are capped at 75% max, running no more than 4 torrents at once.

20. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I have the same problem. I have a 1.5MBPS (or is it mbps?) cable connection and have downloaded from the net at around 130kb/s through HTTP. my upload is capped at 3kb/s and I get usually around 20kb/s on downloads. Yet my internet seems to die whenever I torrent. I changed my port from 9090? to 50000 via the advice from the above post so here's hoping it'll work.

PS limewire also seems to crash the net.