BitTorrent download going really slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm trying to download a large file using BitTorrent, and it's going at dialup speed. My ports are open, and all other files come down quickly, but this one's going really slowly, despite having 50 seeders.

The log says 'rejected by tracker - unsupported tracker protocol, please upgrade your client' but I'm running the latest version (3.4.2). I see that there's a 3.9 beta but there's no Mac binary and I don't know how to use the source (I don't know anything beyond ./configure && make, but there's no configure script).

I've tried using the latest version of Azureus, and although I can't find any errors, it still doesn't go any faster.

Any ideas?

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I've got the same thing going on. I'm not at liberty to say what file, but I'll PM you.

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

hmm...i noticed that too. im downloading a 700mb file from torrents.co.uk and it's only at about 2-3KBps. i know bittorrent's usually slower than limewire or standard downloading, but still...

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

BitTorrent's usually fastest for me. Normal downloads go at around 50-60 KB/s from the US (150-200 from Au/NZ), LimeWire tends to also go at around 50-60, whereas I often get 150+ with BitTorrent if there are a lot of peers. I guess it's due to geography.

7. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i guess it was temporary, cause im up to about 15KBps, about my bt norm. i get anywhere from 70-120 on limewire, and from 160-350 from the regular web. odd since i have a 1536kbps connection so i should be capped at 192.5, but i aint complaining :p
    edit: just realized im downloading from a uk site...d'oh! that would explain the slowness cause i usually use uk sites fot bt...

8. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Anyone else have any ideas? The file (which, contrary to popular belief, is not iLife 05) is still going 5-10 KB/s.

9. angelneo macrumors 68000

which client are you using? I was experiencing the same thing before and the client that i was using was bit tornado. Once I uninstalled that and reinstalled the "official" client. I got good download rate again.

10. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've tried the official client and Azureus. However, a few minutes ago I tried using BitLord (which is for Windows), and it went fast! So I'm currently transferring my partial download over to my Windows PC, and I plan to finish the download there.

11. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

From the site you posted:
    Our trackers are extremely busy and torrents may take some time to connect. Please be patient. Please DO NOT hammer the manual announces on your clients. The trackers *.bscn.com and box.chapter59.com are DOWN and torrents on these trackers WILL NOT be transferred.
    Maybe it's having a hard time distributing the list of clients to you and therefor a few people are doing the whole torrent?
    Also, as I'm sure you know, you are rewarded for the uploads so give it a bit, and maybe it will pick up.

12. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm not sure where you got that from, as I never mentioned where I'm downloading from (LokiTorrent). But I'm currently successfully downloading using BitLord, and it's going at about 25 KB/s - certainly not fast, but a big improvement over what I was getting before.

13. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i think he was talking about torrents.co.uk, cause they gave that message i think

14. johnbro23 macrumors 6502a