Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NemoDat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2003
I have been downloading a file...it is 98.2% complete....but the Download has stopped...I am still Uploading (at 90.3 KiB/s) I have Downloaded a total of 606.8 MiB and uploaded a total of 1812.3 MiB...My Question is what is up with the download..it has stopped and seems to just be hanging in limbo as incomplete as people still upload...will this file eventually complete or is it garbage?
Thanks in advance for your help.
NemoDat

mikeyredk

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2003
its because the person that has the complete file has left got back to the website forums and ask for it to be reseeded

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
yep it sucks when that happens, just ask the site if they will put it back up.

iJon

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
SIDENOTE:...

i've been using mlMac alot lately and it's pretty good. one thing i hate though; when you are downloading files it reads their total size as soon as you start and sort of sets aside an appropriate chunk of HD space for it in a temp folder. problem is, even if you have only downloaded 250k of an 800mb file your HD thinks the whole file is in there and you lose the space. last nite i was downloading a bunch of stuff and at the same time i tried to save an AppleScript (about 30k in size) and i got an error saying my HD was full!? i did Get Info for my HD and sure enough it showed I had 6 mb of space left. LOL. eventually i thought to take a look at those mlMac temp files and i noticed they were indeed the culprit. i had to trash them all to get my HD space back. it's kinda stupid. according to the HD a file could take be using 800mb of space and in reality it's only downloaded 2mb, or even none, or stalled. :rolleyes: after trashing them i got almost 20Gigs of HD space back. :D just a heads up for anyone doing many downloads at once with mlMac.

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Re: SIDENOTE:...

Originally posted by tjwett
i've been using mlMac alot lately and it's pretty good. one thing i hate though; when you are downloading files it reads their total size as soon as you start and sort of sets aside an appropriate chunk of HD space for it in a temp folder. problem is, even if you have only downloaded 250k of an 800mb file your HD thinks the whole file is in there and you lose the space. last nite i was downloading a bunch of stuff and at the same time i tried to save an AppleScript (about 30k in size) and i got an error saying my HD was full!? i did Get Info for my HD and sure enough it showed I had 6 mb of space left. LOL. eventually i thought to take a look at those mlMac temp files and i noticed they were indeed the culprit. i had to trash them all to get my HD space back. it's kinda stupid. according to the HD a file could take be using 800mb of space and in reality it's only downloaded 2mb, or even none, or stalled. :rolleyes: after trashing them i got almost 20Gigs of HD space back. :D just a heads up for anyone doing many downloads at once with mlMac.

But if you cancel the trasfer, it deletes these files right? If not, where are these files kept?

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Re: SIDENOTE:...

Originally posted by Wes
But if you cancel the trasfer, it deletes these files right? If not, where are these files kept?

No it doesn't, as far as I can tell. They are located here:

Home>Library>Application Support>mlMac>mlnet folder>temp

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
files are never deleted unless you do it yourself. everytime you open back up the torrent, it will check every hash and then see how much you did, then pick up where it left off.

iJon

andyduncan

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2003
Re: SIDENOTE:...

Originally posted by tjwett
one thing i hate though; when you are downloading files it reads their total size as soon as you start and sort of sets aside an appropriate chunk of HD space for it in a temp folder.

Not a bug, a "Feature". This allows e-Donkey (and any other system that uses it's engine) to download any part of the file in any order it can get it at the current moment. What you lose in storage inefficiency, you more than make up for in opportunistic network efficiency. It's mentioned in the FAQs

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Re: Re: SIDENOTE:...

Originally posted by andyduncan
Not a bug, a "Feature". This allows e-Donkey (and any other system that uses it's engine) to download any part of the file in any order it can get it at the current moment. What you lose in storage inefficiency, you more than make up for in opportunistic network efficiency. It's mentioned in the FAQs

well i didn't say it was a bug or a feature. i just said i hated it. :D

iceknight

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2006
Greetings, I found this post by searching for the exact problem you stated in the first post. I hate when it happens (that one has 98% of a file, then it just stops)... but there is another reason for the increasing frequency that this is occuring. - Note: I am just another downloader (leecher) like you, I am not a seeder, except of files that I have received while and after I receive them, but I know seeders, and the following is the way some of them look at the situation:

A lot of the seeders are irritated with the "eat and run" people. They seed with the hope that eventually there will be enough seeders, so someone else will take over seeding the file they have made available. The problem is, people aren't doing that. People are downloading, and when it gets to 100% they take off. The seeder view is: If you take off after downloading 100% then why shouldn't THEY also? See the point?

So, like with everything else, things progress / evolve. The torrent situation has evolved so it forces the leechers to seed. What the seeders have started doing is: They seed until a lot of people have 98% or more, then STOP, so all the leechers will supply the other leechers with 98% of the file, then one day, at their leasure, the 100% seeder will generously come online, and let everyone enjoy getting the 100% that they have waited for all this time... and that means EVERYONE has patiently supplied the 98% for others, while waiting for the last %. See how it works? Most people don't want to miss when the 100%er comes online, so they just leave the torrent running, letting others leech their incomplete download.
However, there are examples of seeders who can't be online longer than a specific time, and when they go offline, so does the seed. They then come online when they can, and you can finish the leech.

However, I have heard that just like with other things, there is also FAD among seeders of the original file, to see who among them dares to leave the original seed until someone has 99.9% of it before stopping it. That way everyone who is leeching only needs 0.01% to finish!!! -However, sometimes they can be REAL jerks about FINISHING IT! ... Cos they know that when 1 person gets 100%, they might not be the "eat and run" type... So everyone else will get 100% too. hehe... See how it helps to share? - However... I know of actual cases where 1. An ARTIST placed a huge dummy 99.9% torrent online to stop people stealing their work! Aha! That has also happened! Artists / their record companies are catching on! 2. Seeder placed a dud .rar file in the folder, but replaced it with the right one when he wanted to finish. This is sometimes the case when they have had to re-seed the whole thing... Seeders make mistakes too, when trying to bring about their way!

Again, I am not a seeder, and I hate when I get stuck with 98% and have to wait for days before the seeder comes online... but now at least I know why it's happening. A lot of seeders are pleased, if after you download, you leave the 100% file online for 1 day. That way they can be sure everyone got it.
It's all supposed to be part of the "community" spirit of the thing.
... and just in case anyopne was wondering, torrents aren't only used fopr spreading of illegal material. There is also a lot of public domain educational stuff, free audiobooks, music (including my original music), etc. being shared via torrent.
;-)

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Just leave your computer on and it'll eventually finish... there is no grand bittorrent conspiracy. Just set up the torrent to download and enjoy when finished. And yes 99.98% really does suck.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
iceknight said:
A lot of the seeders are irritated with the "eat and run" people.
It's actually "hit and run", not "eat and run".

Stunts like that (seed till 99% completion then stop seeding) get you warned/banned/reprimanded on most private trackers, where coincidentally most people try to upload as much as they can (so much so that there's a 2000% seeder:leecher ratio on the site and there's like no way to upload anything short of uploading new content). It's only on crappy public trackers that everyone knows about where you find torrents where the seeder is this complete moron who does pull a stunt like that. And it is not a day that you should be seeding, rather, it should be based on how much you uploaded vs. how much you downloaded, aka your ratio. A ratio around or above 1 is usually where to shoot for (where you upload as much as you've downloaded).

I've been seeding more often on a couple of trackers, and as much as I'm irritated by newbie hit and runners, they unfortunately have the effect of boosting your ratio as a result (tis simply the way bittorrent is designed to work), so I'm not really complaining.

My first answer would be to check your connection and your connectability. You need a forwarded port (not 6881-6889 though), and a better client like Azureus which will tell you the status for each torrent instead of just saying yes/no period. Provided you have everything set up right, you're not with an ISP that filters BitTorrent traffic on purpose (then you might as well get used to Azureus cause that's the only client that really works well despite ISP filtering), and you have a healthy torrent, there's no reason why you should be stuck.

Also, having the client allocate file space in the beginning just makes things easier. Azureus has an option to zero the allocated space, etc. Best of all you can't ever run out of hard drive space without knowing it.

Edit: also, about the 99.9% part...your client randomly distributes portions of the file (aka seeding), so unless you're being an asshat and superseeding (which...is usually dumb, and is a complete misnomer), there is no way you can seed till a peer reaches 99.9% and be sure that there's not actually 100% of the file out there distributed among the other peers. Even if you turn on superseeding and seed till you reach a 99.9 you still can't do it, and you can't seed an incomplete file on purpose because that'll seriously mess with most clients and will show you as a leecher instead.

Edit 2: dear lord, bringing back a thread from 2003? lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.