Bittorrent: Is there a way to throttle back it's upload speed?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by motulist, May 2, 2005.

1. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

I have a high speed net connection, but when I use Bittorent it saturates my upload pipe completely and makes my net connection seem slower than a 56k if I try to use the web at the same time. I don't want to be a hog and not upload at all, but there must be a way to throttle down it's upload speed.

Anybody know how?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

What client are you using? Azureus allows you to set a global upload speed or limit individual torrents.

In some routers, there's a QOS menu that allows you to limit traffic over specified ports.

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

I'm using the official bittorrent client v 3.4.2

I'm tried using carrafix.com and capping ports 6881-9, but it has no effect. Should I use a different client?

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i know you can do in tomato torrent and bits on wheels.

5. ebally macrumors regular

There's your problem... If you use the current version (4.0.2) and you go to system preferences, you can set the Maximum Upload rate. (I recommend that you set it to 80% of your maximum limit to get the full potential of BitTorrent).

Also, version 4.0.2 has a much better interface than any of the previous versions (and it also works in Tiger too!)

6. doowrehs macrumors regular

In 3.4.2, you just select the torrent you want to throtttle (in the Bittorrent client's window), then click on the little pill-looking button in the right hand corner (the same shape button as in the top right of a finder window). You'll then be able to set the desired upload speed.

Took me a while to find this, too - but very useful when I did!

BTW - in case you're running 3.4.2 successfully in Tiger, definitely don't upgrade to version 4.0. It just hangs, and hangs, and hangs...

7. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Ok, well that was well hidden. However, now that I found it, now matter what number I put in there in ignores it and still saturates my upload pipe. What the heck's going on here?

8. motulist thread starter macrumors 68040

motulist

Aha, now I get it, it's not a global setting, it's per torrent so you have to set a cap on each torrents upload. Thanks doowrehs!

9. ebally macrumors regular

Version 4.0.2 has a global setting. I highly recommend it!

10. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

It will not hang if he picks up version 4.0.2! ;)

11. doowrehs macrumors regular

4.0.2? Sweet! I didn't know they'd released an update yet, that's why I suggested giving 4.0 a miss. Thanks for the tip!