bittorrent legality issue...

Discussion in 'Community' started by asif786, Jun 1, 2005.

1. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

hey guys + gals,

so, i was just wondering today about downloading bbc content with bit torrent. i don't particularly like to use bit-torrent because i get incredibly paranoid, but thinking about the bbc issue has really got me wondering.

everyone in the uk (not sure about n. ireland though) pays a ridiculous tv license fee every year (£126.50, $230) for having a tv in your house. then some of this money (or probably all of it, i dont know) goes to the bbc to fund their activities (which is why there's no ads..). now, don't get me wrong, i love the bbc and i think they make some great tv. they're a trusted news source and their info is almost-always spot on.

so, what i was wondering was is it ok for me to download episodes of eastenders or neighbours or anything else by bittorrent? after all, my house pays the tv license. there's no ads so there's no revenue lost, so why not? it's not like other channels where they're losing ad revenue because of you...

i dont think there's anything wrong with it personally, but i wonder what the law says..? any ideas? do you think it's right?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Hmm... Well, I don't think it'd be legal because the BBC has paid to use these programs and whether or not they then choose to make money from advertising during these shows is irrelevant.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't know for a fact, but I think it probably is illegal. However no one is going to bust your balls over it. At the end of the day it's no different to recording TV to tape/DVD/whatever for later viewing.