bittorrent

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kevling51, Dec 4, 2005.

1. kevling51 macrumors newbie

What is the best program to use torrent files with? I currently either use Aquisition or TomatoTorrent but i find these entirely unreliable as speeds are patchy and so are connections. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Personally I like Azureus the most. It's a bit of a processor hog though.

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

azureus = faster dl speeds

bits on wheels is also good

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Azureus all the way - it is my client of choice. :cool:

Along with the others mentioned above though, you can try BitComet or BitTornado - I have heard those are alright as well. But nothing is as good as Azureus IMO. :cool:

5. ghostee macrumors 6502

I agree. Nice interface, speedy, and there are addons to do whatever you need (ie: RSS).

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Precisely - I just downloaded the latest update and things feel even snappier now (even though it's probably just all in my head... :eek: )

7. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

I get fast connections on all torrent apps. Make sure your ports are forwarded correctly. :cool:

8. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

What are the recomended port settings?

9. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Azureus all the way. It's a resource hog though. After some hours of use, I must restart my Mac.

10. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

What are the recomended port settings?

Port numbers between 6881-10000 seem to get used a lot.
    I use Azureus 2.2.0.2 (Dimeadozen can't use the latest update for some strange reason i don't really understand). I've tried most of the others and Azureus seems to work best for me. Let's me configure each speeds on each torrent.

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Really? I found that to be the case with the original BT client, but not being a resource hog is one of the main reasons I initially switched to Azureus. I've had my client running for weeks at a time sometimes, no restarts, and my system performance has been fine... odd...

12. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you have a spare PC knocking around, TorrentFlux is great. 100% web interface so you can manage everything from anywhere. Start/Stop/Upload new torrents to get, the works.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Cool, I wasn't aware of this one, thanks for the head's up. I'll keep that one in mind as well, as you say, if I ever need to manage anything remotely - a 100% web interface is pretty sweet. :cool:

14. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

How exactly do you unblock ports 6881-1000 do you do it through the router itself or through OS X????

Thanks,

SHadow

15. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

As do I. If you want a light, basic, easy to use app, forget Azureus, forget the official client, and forget Tomato, get this.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yes, as you say, for something lighter and more simplistic, it probably does the trick quite nicely. I need a more feature-rich, powerful client however, hence why I use Azureus. :cool: But yes, everyone's needs are different, which is why so may different clients exist! ;)

17. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

Me too! Since this one came out, I haven't been able to use anything else. AZ is nice, but it's just too much of a resource hog.

18. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I use Bits on Wheels. It's light and I love the 3D Swarm. :p

19. Ari_0 macrumors regular

Bits on Wheels works best on my limited iBook. Azurous just stops everything to a halt and as for Bit Tomato, it just takes tooooooo long to get anything. :rolleyes:

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Hmm, do you think it would be worth switching from Bittorrent OS X to Azureus? I'm pretty happy with Bittorrent but if Azureus is really faster...

I don't notice Bittorrent being too bad of a resource hog on my 1.4GHz G4 tower.

21. allan_zip macrumors regular

allan_zip

Port forwarding

In Azureus under Preferences > Connection you can list your incoming port.
    If you have a firewall up you need to go into OSX System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall and allocate those ports to bittorrent. If you have a router it's a bit more awkward and needs configured, try here for help
    http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm
    It's all a lot easier if you have no firewall and no router but that's not an option for a lot of people.
    I can't think why one application would result in faster downloads than another. A well seeded torrent and your max download rate will usually be the only things to determine speeds.

22. mileslong macrumors 6502

mileslong

i was checking out the portforward site and it is asking waht type of router i have. i have the airport extreme router and its not listed. who is the manufacturer for the airport extreme?

23. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Apple

24. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yeah, most torrent programs the ability to set up what port they communicate through. You'll have to tell your OS X firewall and router's firewall what port that is too.