bittorrent

Discussion in 'iPod' started by j2r110, Jan 22, 2006.

1. j2r110 macrumors member

j2r110

i have been wondering about using bittorrent. does it work good and what are the risks???

jonathan

2. AuburnTiger macrumors member

I use bittorrent often for many things which I will not mention here. The software is great. I won't go into details on how it works, you can find that out online.

3. j2r110 thread starter macrumors member

j2r110

but is it illegal?

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Depends what you're downloading. If it's open source then you're good to go.
    Music, films or programs is another matter and verboten ;)

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The technology is not illegal. What you choose to download with it may be, if it is copyrighted works (music, commercial software) and we do not discuss sources for those in this forum.

It's like saying posessing a crowbar is not illegal, but if used to break into a house or hit someone on the noggin with, the use of it is.

The other caution of course, is that any time you are inviting other people's files into your computer, you don't know what you are getting.

6. j2r110 thread starter macrumors member

j2r110

think i get it now. i still have a question: whats verboten

7. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

verboten |fərˈbōtn; vər-| adjective forbidden, esp. by an authority. ORIGIN German.

Gotta love the dictionary in Tiger!
    -Chasen

8. j2r110 thread starter macrumors member

j2r110

so if you were to use bittorrent it all depends on what you download to make it illegal? so what are you able to download thats not illegal? is it like burning a cd and giving it to your friend???

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

This isn't a hard concept to grasp.

If whatever you're downloading is freely available from the vendor in the first place, then it's fine.

If whatever you're downloading is not free, then it's not fine.

There are "grey areas" (depending on your moral stance) with regards to TV shows and stuff like that, but then it gets complicated, and people get very opinionated.

10. ldenman macrumors regular

b/t is my life.
    i usually just seed.
    too many damn leechers out there!

11. narco macrumors 65816

narco

i can't use Bittorrent on my Mac because the second it starts uploading stuff, it kills my internet connection. Someone told me that my cable internet provider can sense when I am uploading stuff, so it puts a cap on how much/how fast it's uploaded. Is this true?

Either way, I'd rather own music and movies, but getting tv shows that I missed or fell asleep while watching -- it's great for that.

Fishes,
    narco.

12. ldenman macrumors regular

13. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, that would be an example of something that is, in most cases and in most areas, illegal.

14. janey macrumors 603

janey

Some ISPs do cap speeds on the default ports for certain p2p protocols (ie ports 6881-6889 for bittorrent).

But all you need to do is open a port range on your router that doesn't interfere with the default ports (anything up to 65535, i think the range from 49152 to 65535 is unassigned, make sure not to collide with any of the other protocols ie port 22 for ssh), specify that in your bittorrent client settings, and cap the max upload rate to about 80% of your average maximum actual upload rate (not the one the ISP gives to you).

Bittorrent tends to saturate your bandwidth, hence, causing major slowdowns when browsing and doing other things :) but as long as you keep everything reasonable, no reason why it should slow down anything.

As for the legality of BitTorrent - one completely legal use for it is for distributing various linux and *bsd distro stuff. And a few months back, there was an artist who distributed their latest album, legally and free of charge, via bittorrent. Plenty of opportunities for legal usage, just like other p2p protocols :D ;)

15. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

If I were to say "Hey, here's my latest efforts in Garageband. Please download, burn to CD and distribute freely", I am using BitTorrent as intended, for sharing stuff that should be free.

If I say "Hey, I've just bought the new Bob Dylan CD and here it is to share, download, burn and distribute", I am breaking the law.

It's one of those things though. How many using p2p and torrents are keeping within the law completely, all the time? I doubt many, but presumption and evidence are two different things.

16. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I use Azureus on my Mac, excellent BT client. I find it works great, although I have heard stories about some SPs restricting BW on ports and such to try and restrict usage. No problems with mine though... I find torrents great for giant compilations/collections of data. Take Doctor Who for instance, one of my favorite TV shows - I donwloaded every episode since 1963 thanks to the torrents - about 170 GB worth. :eek: :cool:

I use and abuse torrents, I admit it. After all, just look at my 'tar. :cool:

17. Kyle Nerder macrumors regular

Kyle Nerder

my isp is giving my huge troubles with torrenting. He says is slows/jams up his server. My isp is small and provides high speed to houses in the country.

What upsets me is if I torrent, he throws a restrictor plate on connection speed and then thing get worse then dial up.

I want to fight back! but I don't know how. I miss torrenting. Limewire is just not good enough anymore.

Is he allowed to do this to me? What gives him the right to watch what I download. His service to me is 256 up and 512down. i should be allowed to up and download all down. The internet is mine to do whatever with....

18. janey macrumors 603

janey

attention: I am NOT a lawyer, take everything i say with a grain of salt.

slow down on the uploading, but i don't see why your ISP should do that just because it's slowing it down for everyone else - it's his problem, you're paying for a certain amount of service that should not be restricted. if you're somehow going over the speeds you are paying for, then it makes complete sense, but if your ISP can't handle your bittorrenting, especially if it's completely legal, cough, (which, if he does cap it at 512/256, then it shouldn't be THAT much of a problem to him) maybe it's about time you switched, or complained, ..or something..

Of course, if you signed a contract, agreed to any document at all (acceptable use policy, terms of service, et cetera) or anything with him, read it over to see exactly what it says.

Personally, in regards to ISPs throttling default p2p protocol ports such as bittorrent, downloading illegal things usually is not permitted in most AUPs, that in addition to pressure from MPAA, RIAA and other organizations...plus the fact that clearly more illegal things are traded as opposed to legal material...is reason enough for them to try to discourage it.

Not that I'm happy with it while trying to download 4gb Linux ISOs, but I don't really have a choice, meh.

edit: replied exactly 12 hours after above poster..interesting.. :p

19. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I use bittorrent for those episodes of TG that I never saw in the States. Takes a very long time for me in particular to download an episode.

20. janey macrumors 603

janey

either hop on a torrent with lots of seeds, or upload more. usually the latter works, but not in cases where the seeder:leecher ratio is really, really low.