BitTorrent?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by summerinabaddon, Jul 25, 2006.

1. summerinabaddon macrumors newbie

What do you all think about BitTorrent, I've never downloaded p2p and I'm trying it out, how safe it is, and how well does it work?

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Reminder to posters: At MacRumors you may discuss P2P applications and their use, but you may not provide specific links or instructions for obtaining copyrighted or otherwise licensed commercial material usign P2P.

3. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

I downloaded "Done The Impossible" using BitTorrent.

Come to think of it, this was the only way the filmmakers distributed the video. :)

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I use Transmission and find that it works very well for sending projects I'm working on from group member to group member. Seriously. I do occasional video type projects with some friends in other states and it works wonders.

If you want to use it for any more... illicit purposes you will have to do some searching of your own online to find torrents. You will get no help with that here.

5. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Woo hoo

I've been waiting for the next bit torrent thread to use my new favorite word:

piratical

ok that's all,

Carry on.

:)

6. fenixx macrumors regular

fenixx

7. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i KNEW that was coming from you.

and to the OP... get transmission

8. Kaioshin macrumors member

Kaioshin

I use BitTorrent all the time, mainly for unlicenced Anime fansub downloads.

For the client I use Azureus, since I can use it on just about any OS (Not that I use that many operating system now-a-days). It has a lot of functions, and I don't mind that.

summerinabaddon, what do you mean "how safe is it"? Protection from viruses, intruders or the law? For the first, it's just as easy to get a malware application as with any other method. Don't download stuff blindly and you should be OK, even on Windows.
    As for the law, there are ways of blocking those "spying" computers some companies use to see who is downloading illegal files. There are also methods of using BitTorrent annonymously, but I wouldn't trust those, since a direct P2P connection has to be established and the IP address given out one way or the other.

9. blueflame macrumors 6502a

blueflame

bit torrent never works for me, its always SO slow, and someone told me its becuase i had to have my ports forwarded, but i did and its still crap, any ideas.
    pS sorry to thread hijack

10. exabytes18 macrumors 6502

I love pirates. :cool: My dream job is to be a pirate.

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

yea, but would you be piratical ?

:p :p

12. Kaioshin macrumors member

Kaioshin

Well, if you opened the ports you might have gotten a bad torrent. The download speed really depends on how many people are currently using that particular torrent.
    The users are divided into two groups, seeds and peers, the former have the entire file and are just giving it away while the latter are downloading (and uploading) pieces from one another. If there are no seeds chances are the download will not complete.
    The download speed also depends on how much you're uploading. If you don't upload don't expect the download speed to be high.

And that is why so many ISPs dislike bittorrent. It uses download AND upload, causing them more "damage".

13. radiantm3 macrumors 65816

radiantm3

Bit torrent is only slow if there aren't many seeders, your router isn't setup correctly, or your ISP throttles bit torrent (which is happening a lot these days). I used to get 1000kb/sec torrent downloads until my ISP started to throttle it. Now I don't get more than 100kb/sec. :eek:

14. Marlon_JBT macrumors 6502

15. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

While I plugged Transmission in my post earlier, Tomato Torrent is my backup client. I like their "download to here" function a lot since I always have to end up moving the files once they're done. I still prefer Transmission, but TT is a great alternative!

16. j3tang macrumors regular

i'm not sure why Transmission doesn't seem to download as fast as Azureus. I absolutetly hate Azureus and love Transmission, but i just can't get over the fact that Transmission just doesn't find as much peers as Azureus does..... :(

and yeah, ports have been forwarded ....

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

there are a couple of threads on this topic already. namely one that discusses the pros and cons or the different clients. here.

18. menziep macrumors 6502a

i use Opera 9 on my PC for Bittorrent.

the official bittorrent app is slow.

19. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

Except that's about building PC's, not Torrent clients...

20. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I stand by Azureus. Many people have complaints on how it bogs down their system and how it is big and bloaty, but it works amazingly well for me, so that's all I care about! I'm running a 1.25 GHz G4 with 1 GB of RAM and I do not experience any lag or ill effects due to it, so I don't know what types of problems other people have with it... <shrug>

At any rate, yes it's a larger client, but it is very feature rich and powerful. I highly recommend it. Read through the other threads on this topic and you will find many people who don't though, so to each their own. :cool:

21. FredClausen macrumors regular

FredClausen

22. AUFordBoy macrumors newbie

AUFordBoy

My vote is for Azureus - I just recently purchased my first mac (macbook), & although azureus slows down my windows machine it runs perfectly on my new mac!

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I've heard the same - that the Mac version is much better than the PC version. Perhaps that's where a lot of the negative feedback comes from regarding it. As I said, I have nothing but good experiences with it. :cool:

24. purelithium macrumors 6502

purelithium

I've used Azureus on Windows, Linux, and OS X, and it's all the same. I hate that it's java, but that's how it's easily ported between the different os'

It has a constant 10% load on my CPU, creating just a little much heat. Other than the load issues, its the best client out there. It makes sure you have ALL the information about the torrent that you could ever want. Perfect. Also, allows you to configure almost anything you could want. I say almost, because a feature that I love in transmission is missing from Azureus. You can't have it stop seeding once it hits a certain ratio.

25. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

The new version of AZ is great, and I'm finally happy with it for the most part.

The one simple feature missing from AZ, that is present in Transmission, is the "stop all" "resume all" buttons....

I find that feature tremendously useful.