Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
quigleybc said:
The one simple feature missing from AZ, that is present in Transmission, is the "stop all" "resume all" buttons....

I find that feature tremendously useful.

It's there, just not a button. it's under the "Transfers" menu.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Never tried Transmission. What made me switch from the "official" client to Azureus was the ability to grab specific individual files from a torrent of many files. Also there was this weird issue where the newest version of the official client downloaded noticeably slower that a previous version of the same thing.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
quigleybc said:
The new version of AZ is great, and I'm finally happy with it for the most part.

The one simple feature missing from AZ, that is present in Transmission, is the "stop all" "resume all" buttons....

I find that feature tremendously useful.

shift select things, or command select one by one.

:p

fenixx

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2006
I use BitLord when I'm running Windows and love it, -- but for normal, everyday use, I use Transmission

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
fenixx said:
I use BitLord when I'm running Windows and love it, -- but for normal, everyday use, I use Transmission

I believe bitlord, bitcomet and a few others have been banned on a lot of PRIVATE trackers. Something to do with being able to use DHT to share torrents without the login info?

Short of it: use a better one, Tranny is a goody.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
MarkCollette said:
What made me switch from the "official" client to Azureus was the ability to grab specific individual files from a torrent of many files.

Yes, I love that feature as well. Sometimes when I grab TV episodes, all I can find is a torrent of the entire season, of which I already haver several episodes. It's nice only being able to download which episodes I need as opposed to the entire season. :cool:

Scotsworth

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2006
Ohio
I used BitTorrent at first, then moved to Azureus...I really like it. I get pretty fast download speeds, even though my college blocks their ports so you don't get things QUITE as fast. I also like how you can select what you want to download. For example, I wanted a few Oasis b-sides, and found them on this torrent that had the complete discography of Oasis. So, instead of having to download every Oasis album (which I already had), I could just select the few tracks I didn't have and I wanted.

mahonmeister

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Redlands, CA
No one uses Bits on Wheels?

I wonder if you run Bits on Wheels and Transmission at the same time they would make some kind of super torrent client dragster.:p

*wonders if anyone will get that*

Maybe I should get some sleep.

purelithium

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Kingston, Canada
appleintelrock said:
I pay for my stuff. If you need to transfer files, find another way.

Just my two cents

:cool:

Torrents themselves are not related to the pirating community, it's just been adopted because it's easy.

A linux distribution I use called Mandriva uses Torrents to supply it to the public. This lessens the load on their servers, as people are downloading the distribution from other users, not directly off of an FTP or HTTP server. Therefore allowing Mandriva to redirect resources that otherwise would havebeen used on more robust servers.

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
FredClausen said:
One more vote for Transmission.

I used Bittorrent but it was way too slow. 4kb on a 4mb line. I downloaded Transmission forwarded a port using the 'how to' from transmission and now i regularly get 300kbs plus. :D

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
appleintelrock said:
I pay for my stuff. If you need to transfer files, find another way.

I pay for my stuff too - it's called my TV bill. I pay for the channels where my favorite TV shows air. What's the difference if I record a copy for myself using my VCR as the episode airs or if I download the same episode from a torrent? :cool:

And as purelithium eluded to, torrents are actually an extremely efficient way of transferring files, so you should perhaps brush up on your technologies in this respect since you are a little misinformed on the topic. Torrents are great!

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
World of Warcraft updates are distrbuted by Torrent.

Like a condom, there is nothing wrong with it, if used properly or not at all.

its when you use it for "cough cough" that it becomes a problem...

what I mean is, there is nothing wrong with BT, in fact its the best p2p idea ive seen since Napster in 99'.

Those who just snub their noses at BT because a large majority is sharing "copyrighted" materials, are truly missing the big picture.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Sdashiki said:
World of Warcraft updates are distrbuted by Torrent.

Like a condom, there is nothing wrong with it, if used properly or not at all.

its when you use it for "cough cough" that it becomes a problem...

what I mean is, there is nothing wrong with BT, in fact its the best p2p idea ive seen since Napster in 99'.

Those who just snub their noses at BT because a large majority is sharing "copyrighted" materials, are truly missing the big picture.

Agreed - well said. :cool:

To reiterate, don't put down an excellent file transfer technology just because a majority of the people out there use it for "evil". ;) :cool:

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I like to download TV shows that ARENT on DVD yet, and make my own DVD for peeple to DL.

Thats my use of BT.

Gives me a chance to use my DVD authoring skills, and to give back to the internet I have "stolen" so much from.

:rolleyes:

Anyone seen MTV's "The Head" or "The Maxx" on DVD lately, um no.

MarkCollette

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2003
Toronto, Canada
~Shard~ said:
Yes, I love that feature as well. Sometimes when I grab TV episodes, all I can find is a torrent of the entire season, of which I already haver several episodes. It's nice only being able to download which episodes I need as opposed to the entire season. :cool:

Or worse yet, those mega torrents of every single season.

Also, a nice thing about getting divx files for TV episodes, is that you can fit a season on a single double layer disk, and throw that into a little paper sleave, and take up very little room, whereas the DVDs typically use six disks, and take up around and inch and a half of shelf space.

It'd be nice if, when HD-DVD or BlueRay go mainstream, if they'd re-release some TV shows on there, still at NTSC, but everything packed onto one disk, making use of the newer compression standards and greater space available.

davisjw

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2006
Richmond, Va
I use Azureus and it's worked wonders for me :) Well except I get mega slow speeds.. Everyone it seems is in the 100kB/s when I'm trudging along in the teens, if I'm lucky for a minute or so 30s.. What gives? I use a cable modem and it's the only program running. Anyone have any suggestions to make it faster? It's killing me!! Thanks!

andcraig

macrumors regular
May 28, 2005
davisjw you're probably either using very unhealthy torrents (not many seeds) or you haven't properly forwarded your ports. When i hadn't forwarded the right ports i got in the teens, afterwards i got up into the hundreds. It makes a huge difference.
Should say something on the azureus website...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.