BitTorrents

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by surfer99, Aug 16, 2006.

1. surfer99 macrumors 6502

For some reason when ever I download bittorrents onto my computer I will drag them into transmission to download them but they will not start downloading. I have also tried tomato as well and get the exact same thing. Any one know whats going on?

2. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Are you forwarding the correct ports to your computer? Also a lot of torrent sites don't like BitTorrent clients that use the default ports.

3. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

not sure, I am actually very new to using BitTorrents and I downloaded transmission today for the first time. I have been downloading the bittorrents from torrentspy.com and then just dragging them into transmission. Is there anything else I need to do beside download transmission and drag the bittorrents into transmission?

4. Malfoy macrumors 6502a

Malfoy

You behind a router?
    Are you downloading old stuff?

If you are behind a router, you need to do some port forwarding or things will be SLLLLOOOWWW to non existent.

If you are downloading older stuff, check that are a lot of seeders(S) and not that many Leechers(L). If there arent many seeders(less than 15 or so) sometimes your DL will again be very slow or non existent especially since lots of people(seeders) limit how many people can be connected to them at one point as well as limit how fast they'll upload.

5. surfer99 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I would recommend that you use Azureus instead. Azureus also has fairly good documentation for just about any problem you might have getting torrents to work.

8. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Read your routers manual.

9. peterh2o macrumors member

I'm having trouble with Azureus...I downloaded the recent release and opened the dmg file and then the blue frog shows up on my desktop and I can't get anything to happen with azureus...it never prompted me to install or anything. What gives?

10. gothicx00 macrumors member

Do you have a Intel based Mac? If so check out the Intel Mac Wiki page for Azureus. The default DMG is not UB if i'm not mistaken.

I got it running just fine on my 15" MBP. But i prefer using the web client plugin, and run Azureus on my PC. It sits on it's desk not doing much of anything these days, so i feed it torrents to keep it busy :p

But seriously it works well... you go to a page on your local network and you can send it *.torrent files and then just access the torrents via a network. If you've got more than one computer, it's a great way to run the whole thing.

11. peterh2o macrumors member

Ya I've got a macbook, noob to macs, I just went to azureus' page and dl'd the regular osx version so hopefully this will solve the problem. THANKS!

12. Reaver macrumors 6502

you can find a lot of info if you go to portforward.com

13. ScoobyDoofus macrumors member

Just waiting for my first ever Mac to be delivered. I use Azureus on my PC, it's good to know that I can keep using it on my shiny new macbook.

Does OSX support UPNP? I find that makes it so much easier to change ports etc.!