Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PowerMike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
I recently purchased a used PowerMac G4 Tower featuring a 733 mHz processor . According to the system profile, it features a GeForce2 MX AGP nVidia video card with 32 MB off RAM.

This unit worked famously under OS 9.2, but I have recently installed Panther (10.3) with peculiar results.

For some reason a few of the icons in the dock--the finder, trash can, and launch icon--appear blurry and pixelated. The others appear as intended. It seems that throughout the OS some areas that are supposed to appear grey are pixelated with a magnified gradient and a bizarre green tinge. When I attempted to install iLife, which I had the pleasure of purchasing today, the installation splash screen appeared blurry and pixelated with far too much green to decode the image.

I've explained this as best I can. If anyone can provide some clarity, I would greatly appreciate it. I have already tested this unit with several monitors and I have played with all of the color and appearance settings. I have also tried to reinstall, only to find the same results. A boot into OS 9 continues to work flawlessly.

Mike

PowerMike

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 7, 2005
Thanks for the tip, but I have already tried all available refresh rates and resolutions. I also tried resetting the PRAM. Any other ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.