Bizarre screen incident on my iMac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by reykjavik, May 26, 2006.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2004
    So after 3 hours my monitor turns off and turns back on if I move the mouse. Tonight I came back to my comp and turned it back on and a quarter of an inch of the lcd screen right above the dock kind of scrambled a bit, as if it were snow on a TV. This occurred while the screen was "warming up" and getting brighter and then it stopped. It only happened once (that I know of) and it only lasted about 1-2 seconds.

What does this mean? Anyone have a similar instance?
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Hasn't happened to me. I wouldn't worry about it if it doesn't happen again.
  3. Crackamac macrumors newbie

Jun 3, 2005
    there might be a prob

I have a rev A imac g5 20" at work ( I ordered it right after they were announced) and sometime last year, it developed wierd probs, the first symptom was a garbled screen. I would turn it on and the grey apple logo would loose it's definition and then I get to the login screen, it would look like every other line would shift 1 or 2 pixels to the right. when I would get into the system, some of my windows would corrupt. this only happened twice and I dismissed it, a reboot would fix it. finally 1 day, about 2 weeks later I would get kernal panics and the line shifting would happen constantly with no reboots fixing it. I called applecare and they told me that there was a prob with their capaciators popping and they would send a tech to switch out the mainboard. So, being a courious guy, I popped off the back cover to look and sure enough , a number of capaciators were bulging. so if I were you, I would make a backup of the data and call applecare, esp if it's a rev A imacg5.
    on a side note, once the board was replaced, it's been steady ever since, no more probs
  4. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2004
    I'm nto entirely sure by what you mean as rev A but I too had the original first release of the 17 inch iMac and I too had to have the logic board replaced (twice). But then I gave that one (which after the repacements worked fine) to my dad and got myself a newer 17 inch with the isight and crisper display (and no blarring fans). I had the exact same experience as you as far as symptoms go but this isn't really that, its a little different. I've tried putting my monitor to sleep and waking it again a couple of time and haven't seen it since, so maybe it was just a fluke thing. I definitely will work on backing up my stuff though.