Bizzare incident last night...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dpaanlka, Jun 19, 2006.

1. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Went out late last night and saw them cleaning this up (from this morning's Chicago Tribune):

Bicyclist killed in 3-car accident

By Jason Meisner
    Tribune staff reporter
    Published June 19, 2006, 7:06 AM CDT

A 33-year-old man was killed late Sunday when he was thrown from his bicycle in an accident at a busy Orland Park intersection and struck by a second car, police said this morning.

The crash occurred about 10 p.m. at the intersection of 145th Street and La Grange Road, as Asuncion Garcia rode his bicycle north in the La Grange Road median, Orland Park police said in a news release.

A 1999 Oldsmobile and a 2005 Chevrolet southbound on La Grange drove into the median to make a left turn into a coffee shop parking lot, police said. The 16-year-old male driver of the Oldsmobile saw Garcia at the last second and tried to swerve to the left, but struck him and knocked him off the bicycle.

Another 16-year-old boy driving the Chevrolet then ran Garcia over, police said. The Oldsmobile sideswiped a third car being driven by an 18-year-old male before coming to a stop.

Garcia, of the 14400 block of Jefferson Avenue in Orland Park, suffered multiple injuries and was pronounced dead at 10:45 p.m. Sunday at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office.

None of the occupants of the three cars was injured, police said.

No citations or charges had been issued in the accident as of this morning, and the case remained under investigation, police said. There was no indication that drugs or alcohol played a role.

2. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
  3. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    wow, ran over twice.. thats gotta really hurt..

4. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not a fun way to go for sure.

Talk about bad luck.

RIP.

5. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I wonder if he would have lived if only ran over once.
    I can't even picture being one of the drivers- whether or not charges happen, that's the kind of guilt that never goes away.

6. medea macrumors 68030

medea

The article does not give out very much information such as whether the cyclist was riding legally.

7. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

The article mentioned about riding in the median, so maybe not.

BTW, I like your Tar.

Attached Files:

9. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Was he wearing a helmet? Though I guess it doesn't matter when you get hit and then run over.

Is it me or does it seem like a lot of young drivers were involved.

EDIT - riding in the median after dark. He probably didn't have a light on his bike. Unfortunate for everyone.

10. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Wow. I guess this qualifies as being 'Seriously Killed'

11. dpaanlka thread starter macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I believe that riding in the median is illegal, as the "median" is really a big long lane, where cars from either direction pull in to make left turns. Think of it as a single bi-directional lane in the center of the road. A very dangerous and stupid place to be riding a bicycle at 10:00 at night.

The entire street was closed until about 1:30 AM. Saw them open it as I ate a sandwich at a small restaurant nearby.

EDIT: Here is a google satellite of the area. Yellow lines highlight where the median lane is. Red circle is roughly where it looked like the accident happened (I was about a half a block away due to the road being closed).

Attached Files:

12. medea macrumors 68030

medea

It is entirely possible the cyclist was making a turn just like any car would. It's not stupid to ride your bike at night, it's stupid to ride it carelessly eg: without lights and against traffic.