Bizzaro file copying problem...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Lord Blackadder, Feb 24, 2006.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I'm in the process of migrating a bunch of data from an external drive (160GB USB 2.0) to one of my internal 250GB SATA drives, and have encountered a weird problem....

I have a large number of home videos as well as ripped DVDs ranging in size from a few hundred MB to 4GB or so, but can't successfully copy them. The first file copies fine, then every subesquent file will hang partway through, necessitating a hard reboot (I left them for a couple hours but they were still not moving). After the reboot, the first file will copy sucessfully, but the next will hang as before. It doesn't matter which ones I choose. What's up?

I successfully copied everything over my LAN by using my old iMac (USB 1.1 :( ) but I don't understand why I was having this issue. I was going to use something like Carbon Copy Cloner but I already have files on the destination drive.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I have no idea what causes this, but I had very similar problems with trying to copy from an internal drive to an external portable Firewire/USB2.0 one - same symptoms - on my G4 iMac and 12"PB (attributed it to a bad drive, but then it worked fine with my G5). Identical symptoms, and I too had to use the LAN to copy.

No help, I know - but just wanted to let you know I've seen it as well.

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Werid. On the whole I've never had good luck trying to copy huge files between drives...I always assumed I was screwing up but it seems like there's something else going on.

4. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Does this happen if you copy the files one at a time, or as a group? I am going to start tidying up my hard drive by backing up to an external in the near future and don't want to run into this kind of problem.

5. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It happens for me regardless. If I try to copy them all at once, they all stall at the same % complete. With one at a time, the first copies OK then the next one stalls.