Discussion in 'Community' started by scem0, Nov 6, 2003.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I have recently started listening to Bjork and I really like her. Before when I had listened to her I had dismissed her because I didn't like her voice and I didn't think the music was all that good.

But after listening to a couple of her songs I have grown to really appreciate her voice. I still don't like 60% of her music though. I don't like 'dance Bjork', I prefer her songs like 'Bachelorette'.

Out of the 14 songs I have heard by her, I have really liked Bachelorette and I've seen it all (featuring the lead singer from Radiohead). To Bjork fans - what songs sound more like these, especially the former?

She is really cool IMO, even if she is slightly insane.

Another thing concerning Bjork that I would like to mention is her looks. I think she is extremely beautiful, but sometimes she looks a little too unique. Sometimes her extreme features cause he to look like Michael Jackson or some inhuman looking creature. But I prefer photos like this one:
    as opposed to ones like this:

So, what are y'alls thoughts on this unique artist?

2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    i've only heard a bit of her music. for a long time i didn't even know if it was a guy or girl. :p

i like her music videos though. on the Softimage website there's a good video with all these red rope type things going around her. love that video. :D

scroll down to Music Videos on this page and check them out:
  3. zimv20 macrumors 601

Jul 18, 2002
    i've been a Sugar Cubes fan since they released their first album (the band she was in before she went solo). i like it better than her solo stuff.

somewhere i've got an old tape an icelandic friend gave me about 10 years ago. it's bjork singing backup in an icelandic band before she joined the Sugar Cubes. quite recognizably her.
  4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

Jan 2, 2001
    Metairie, LA
    Yeah she's a strange one alright, but still damned cool. ;)

Anyone remember that video with her & the big bear running around?
  5. Gyroscope macrumors regular

Apr 29, 2002
    Few years ago I happened to see Bjork kickin' livin' ass out of one paparazzi's at the airport. It was so unreal, like in those Hong Kong action movies. Yeah she knows how to fight as well. ;) Poor sod, ended up having his ass kicked pretty bad.
    Regarding her music, well ya know it is really an extension of her excentric and experimental personality. Highlights for me are two songs and acomp. clips "Its so quiet" cool tune with even better video, and "All is full of love" song is really good, but the video clip is an masterpiece and it is about two cyborgs getting assembled by robots and then start making love.
  6. voicegy macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002
    Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    That, and other videos, I watched on a compilation DVD of her work a few years ago...the only way I can describe her work is like, well, being high as a're just not quite sure what you're looking at or listening to, but you want to stay with it to figure it out, but ultimately, you can't. A completely unique talent.
  7. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    The Bear? "Human Behavior". Cool song, great video. It was creepy when they found that video of the guy who tried to blow her up. :yikes:

If you're a fan, rent the movie she did, "Dancer in the Dark".
  8. true777 macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2000
    California, Austria, Arkansas
    Bjork makes me cringe. Have known her music since sugarcubes.
    Never liked her, never will.
  9. mrjamin macrumors 65816

Feb 6, 2003
    she's one of my favourites - fantastic stuff!

I recommend "All is full of love", "Play Dead", and infact pretty much every song on homogenic is fantastic. Check out "Hunter" thats great too.

The vids for bjork tracks are incredible - especially "all is full of love" by chris cunningham: imho the best director for music vids!
  10. ooartist macrumors member

Feb 2, 2002
    Spring Hill, TN
    check her album...

Its my favorite.

11. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    not sure if you've seen this....

rad. ;)
  12. robots r gr8 macrumors newbie

Sep 9, 2003
    ahhh... bjork. yes, she is amazing. in fact, so amazing that her work takes up 1.2 gigs on my ipod.

i've been a fan for a while... but i must say, that when i first heard her, i was not really into it. but then, all of a sudden, her sound smashes you in the face and you can't live without it.

a few months ago, i was able to see her live for the first time. fantastic live show. yea bjork!

anyway, homogenic is by far my favorite full length album of hers. good, powerful, emotional, stuff...
  13. DrDookie01 macrumors newbie

Sep 23, 2003
    Miami Beach, FL

I love Bjork, she's a f()cking cool chick. I'm 20 years old, and I've been listening to her music since I was like 16. My fav CD of her must be Post. Its a lot less in your face than Homogenic (which is good as well). But my fav song must be 5 Years. Her CD never left my CD changer, back then, now it never leave my iPod!!!! Hidden Place is a good song too, BTW. The only CD that she did that sucked was "Selma Songs" she just need to be slapped for that one, even though it was just a soundtrack (a la Mariah Carey w/Gliter, "just a soundtrack").
  14. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Now I really want to buy homogenic.

ah the bell just rang. school sucks.

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Bjork drives me nuts. I just can't listen to her for too long. Probably a reaction from a quarter I spent in lab with a Bjork-head. He insisted on listening to her all the time and since we were all working in lab all night, we got to listen with him. I'd occasionally sneak in a little Slayer just to shake things up, but this was before I got my PB and became the class DJ in lab.;)

No offense to all you Bjork fans. It's just not my thing.
  16. medea macrumors 68030

Aug 4, 2002
    Madison, Wi
    Re: Bjork

If you only pick up one album pick up her last one 'Vesperine' as it is her best work and not really on the dancy side at all.
  17. cr2sh macrumors 68030

May 28, 2002
    Not to go over-board or anything about how big of fan i am of bjorks but seriously... I want to have all of her children. I am completelly in love with her. :)

She is amazing, when Post was released in 1997 it sounded like nothing I'd ever heard before... it was a glimpse into the future. So much of popular music today sounds like Post. That's why I was so thrilled with Vespertine, I love it, the most beautiful music I've ever heard, her lyrics, her metaphors... its all on a level, that i don't think i'll ever reach. I've always been in complete amazment of her and I'm exited.. because maybe in 4 years, when main-stream catches up to vespertine, we'll have something worth listening to on the radio.

You see her do things, like the swan dress or her recent all black outfit with gems stuck to her face, and I'm in awe... I don't get it.. but if she's doing it there has to be something to it.
  18. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I've seen a video of that! It was on VH1, special about paparazzi's. Yeah, she is a fierce little woman ;).

I can definitely respect not liking her, because until recently I didn't, but I can also definitely respect liking her because now I like her :). I can understand how her voice could sound annoying.

Well, I might pick up 'Vesperine', but I am a cheap ass, so I don't know if that will happen.

Thanks for the recommendations and input everyone.

19. Geetar macrumors regular

Sep 18, 2002
    She's an artist, and since there are bl**dy few of those about, she deserves some of our appreciation for doing her thing. I'm not a huge fan of her music, but I'm a huge fan of her individuality.
  20. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Big fan here too. Fav. album is prolly Homogenic.

Anyone seen Dancer in the Dark. Some unusual shooting ('à la' documentary) but also some great acting/music.