Black 2G Nano vs. Black 1G Nano

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by roland.g, Nov 9, 2006.

1. roland.g macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    No this isn't Nano deathmatch.

Just wondering, I know the 1st gen. Nanos had screen crack issues and other things, but looking at them and esp. touching them I like the look and feel of the original black Nano better than the feel of the metal 2nd gen. Nano.

I like the idea of 8GB vs. 4GB but I have an older 3G (or is it 2G) pre-click wheel 40GB iPod so I know no matter what my whole library won't fit. But I will be using it mainly for snowboarding and the gym.

1. How do the two compare for battery life?

2. Does the headphones lanyard work well for either? I had heard that the original Nanos disconnected easily from the lanyard headphones. Is this true? Did they improve that with the new Nanos?

3. What's better, the original style, black face, silver back or the new all metal style? Do the new ones just feel wierd in your hands?
  2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I can give you Apple's numbers for your first question...the 1G nano supposedly lasted 14 hours for music. The 2G nano goes for 24 hours.
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    The lanyard headphones are incompatible between the two. The 1G nano lanyard headphones come in a black box, the 2G in a white box - Apple moved the ports apart a bit further on the 2G nano so a lot of the 1G accessories won't work. My 1G lanyard headphones work fine - it takes a decent amount of effort to detach them so they're pretty safe.

The 2G nano will blitz a 1G nano on battery life and the brighter screen is very nice too.

If it didn't lend itself to scratching so easily (black shows them up more than the white because of the physics of light - a scratch on a black 1G nano is "lit up" by light coming in from the side whereas the same thing on a white nano isn't as easy to see due to a lack of contrast between the bright scratch and the bright white of the body) then I would say the 1G design was the better of the two. If they'd made it from lexan or something tougher than the polycarbonate they used it would be perfect.

The design of the 2G nano is just a shrunken mini - nowhere near as revolutionary as the original nano.
  4. roland.g thread starter macrumors 603

Apr 11, 2005
    One mile up and soaring
    I understood it was two separate lanyards, one for each gen. I had just heard that they came detached from the original nanos easily. Good to know you haven't had any problems. I would either get an iSkin or Speck case (one of the rubbery form fitting ones with screen protector) that had access to the bottom so lanyard could attach or at the least one of those shield covers (the clear plastic ones) to keep the scratches down. I guess if it is in a case most of the time I won't care about the metal, just that I picked one up at a store and wasn't thrilled about the feel of it.