Black 360 w/120GB & HDMI... in March/April?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Piarco, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Pulled from Engadget today... the sources seem semi legit (although our Aussie cousins usually get the shaft when new tech gets released, so a rumour starting there had me doubting it) but beyond the black cases available on thar intarweb I haven't seen any other pics...

Still, its something that I'd sell my current 360 for. Black makes it match my HD setup, so no need to hide it out of the way any more, two controllers (sweet) 120GB HDD (niiice) and HDMI (less cable clutter)... combined with one of the newer silent drives - I'd be all over it!

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

That's nearly the price of a 60gig Ps3 model that also includes a BluRay drive.
    You gain a larger hard drive for your 360 over the Ps3, that's about it.

Sorry...IMO...bad move if it's true. 360 is at a good price point at $400 for the Premium IMO.
    (Although I'll echo what someone else commented on Engadget..."did they say if the release date was April 1st" :D)

3. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Not in the UK if the price is done on a straight exchange rate switch - it'll cost as much as the premium 360 on release.
    Even if its around the £320 mark, its still over £100 cheaper than the PS3... so from my PoV it currently looks to be quite resonable...

4. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

D'oh...didn't think to mention I was looking at "US prices" and I don't have a clue what the normal prices are overseas :)
    Sorry :D

5. darkwing macrumors 65816

If this is true then I get to start my "i told you so" thread that MS can't put HDMI on the current 360. :)

One nice thing about the PS3 is the HD is removable so you can put a bigger one in if you want.

Will this new 360 have wifi?

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I dont think this is true, and those black cases can be bought anywhere these days.

It's funny how the HDD size keeps growing too. First 80, then 100 and now 120.

By next week there will be a rainbow coloured 360 with an LG combo blu-ray & hd-dvd drive with a 1TB hdd, and 4 hdmi ports capable of 50billion giga flops of arm candy.

7. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

I'll buy a Xbox360 when they release a HDMI version. I have yet to use HDMI on my tv.

8. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

and it will only cost your first born son.

9. kjr39 macrumors 6502

What's the over/under on how many "Should I wait to buy a 360?" threads this will start?

10. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I doubt it will have wi-fi, MS makes their money off of those accessories. If you priced out a X360 to the features of a PS3 its actually more money.

Talk about your "me too" effect MS :rolleyes:

11. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

That's more or less the original price over there :eek: You guys complain about prices... you should see outside your country :eek:

With the HDD sizes, far as I remember, that would make sense (you can replace your 360 HDD, but it only works with certain models, from certain companies, those models being 20 and 120s, iirc)

13. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^

Actually I know someone who works for WD in Ireland, they make the 20gb HDD for the 360's, I wonder if he's knows anything. An email is being sent :D

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Whats it with the upgraded 360s...does the 360 really need an upgrade?
    The 360 is doing fine and only revision we will see are chips and the qiute HDD.

The black 360 still doesn't compare to the white one.

Bless

15. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Tell that to my black Sammy HDTV, black recordable DVD player, black Sky+ HD box and my black 5.1 receiver/speakers! The 360 stands out like a sore thumb and is relegated to being out of sight. Even there was no change over the premium kit apart from the colour, and a slightly higher price tag I'd get it for equipment harmony...

16. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

^Well if you are going for harmony then there are face plates and I think I saw someone in the "Post Your 360 setup thread" with a black 360 if you are interested in doing that.

Bless

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Nah, I don't think so.

Although it would be funny for Microsoft to make a "PS3 hype killer" version of the system, but it would also be too expensive a move to actually be worthwhile.

But imagine it...

Xbox 360 Ultimate
    • Sleek Black finish
    • Matching Black wireless controller and headset
    • HDMI
    • 120GB HDD
    • Built-in WiFi (802.11n)
    • Built in HD-DVD (movies only)
    • Matching black universal remote
    • $599 MSRP

I don't believe for a minute this would happen, but if it did it'd be interesting to see the consumer reaction. PR words like "Ultimate" and specs that include double the HDD space of a PS3, and wireless that is 10X faster then what is built in the PS3, plus including an actual remote for movies/dashboard... that could really make people stop and think HARD before going to PS3, especially with Vista/Live Anywhere integration for those millions of Windows users.

18. Piarco thread starter macrumors 68030

Piarco

Faceplates are just that - only the fascia, leaving swathes of near white everywhere and black cases void my warranty. And as its an extended warranty I'm not going to do that.

19. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Honestly, all I would like to see them do is come out with an HDMI cable for the 360 now and drop the price of the wireless adapter by half. If they did those two things I would buy them both now and be perfectly happy. I don't need a larger hard drive, I stream all my music/photos with connect360. I don't plan on buying many tv shows or renting movies through the 360, i bought the HD-DVD drive so I would rather buy them on disc.

Also, I was thinking that if they did come out with a larger hard drive as accessory to buy, how would everyone who has one now transfer their stuff to it? They would have to supply some type of external housing that can plug into a USB port on the 360 that the hard drive plugs into, but this seems cumbersome and not sleek or simple.

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc