Black 5th Gen iPod: Does it scratch?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Evangelion, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Evangelion macrumors 68040

The original black Nano was notorious for scratching. It seemed that the dust floating in the air was enough to scratch that thing. And people are telling that the black iPod has a similar coating, so it should scratch just as easily. But.... does it?

Yesterday I took a closer look to the 5th gen iPods at a nearby electronics store. I noticed no scratches on the black iPod. and when the sales-clerk was not looking, I tried to scratch it with my fingernail: no luck. So does it really scratch that easily?

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

yes it scratches - mine scratched all over when i put it in my pocket with my keys :rolleyes:

just get a rubber case for it that way if you drop it it might live a bit longer as well as saving it from scratches

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

Yes, it will scratch. I'm generally not a great believer in cases for "things" but would strongly recommend one for iPods.

FJ

4. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, I was planning to get a beltcase for the iPod, so it wouldn't be in the pocket. But, that said, I think I'll just wait for the 6th gen iPod, and even then, maybe opt for the white one (assuming we still get white and black models).

5. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I think whatever the generation it will still scratch. :mad:

FJ

6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i use a clear skin for my 5g ipod, and i find it useful in preventing scratches. and i've seen white ipods scratched just as badly as black ones.

7. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

This is what I'm doing. Definitely going for white too.

8. calculus Guest

calculus

The answer is of course that iPods don't scratch, they 'get scratched'. Much depends on how you treat them.

9. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

Well, the original black nano got scratched, no matter how you treated it. This was the repeating theme in all the reviews: scratches, scratches and more scratches.

10. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

yeah they all get scratched reaslly easily eeeeeeeeven with a case on,, dont even knwo how that happens,, i guess dust and stuff in between the case and the iPod itself,, and if you are waiting for a 6th gen i think you will be waiting for a looooooooooong time(more than 6 months IMO)

11. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Thats fine by me, going to take me about 6months to save up. :eek:

12. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

I don't think so. iPod is already due for an update, and they have the needed tech ready to go.

Few months, maybe. But not six.

13. alywa macrumors 6502

I have a black 5.5G 80GB ipod. Mine is scratch free, but I need to explain.

I use a 1G shuffle for most of my "around town" use, and on the boat via cassette adapter. Those things are basically indestructible.

My 80GB iPod is mostly used connected to my home stereo, or when I go on trips. Whenever I travel with it, or bring it to friends' houses, I simply store it in an iPod sock. (Yes, I bought them! Gave a bunch away to friends as gifts, kept a couple for myself).

That said, I've been pretty impressed with the 5.5G. I too have tried to scratch it with my fingernail, and have been unable to do so. I'm sure if you carry it unprotected in your pocket with keys, coins, cell phone, etc, it will eventually get scratched up, but with a little care it should stay in good shape.

FWIW, my 4th gen 40GB iPod seemed to scratch more easily.

14. Tom B. macrumors 65816

Tom B.

Yes they do, my iPod nano scratched my phone's screen. :p

15. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

reason i htink this is because , it wont happen in the next month (april), may they won't upgrade it becaudse they dont wnat ppl l that are saving money for the iphone to spend it on an iPod instead of iPhone, i Phone will be release june, i think july and begining of august will be left out to get as many ppl with iPhones so whoever wants an iPod during that period of time may just buy an iPhone instead since there is no new iPods, an dthen when everybody has spent a lot during the summer, everyone will be getting their summer checks and heyyyyyy new iPod everyone will buy them,, that is 6 months from now....but then again,,i am more wrong than right..usually sooooo yeah....IMO thats when it will all happen....

16. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i cut my finger with my sisters nano trying to snatch it out of her hand too...

17. nateDEEZY macrumors 6502a

Definitely look into The Invisible Shield, I just got one last week for my Black 5G iPod. It has a lifetime warranty and you can't beat that! (of course it doesn't cover faulty installation, but if it were to get scratched or torn they'd replace it)

Demo of it.

18. Evangelion thread starter macrumors 68040

I really don't see that as an possibility. Why?

a) iPod is not a replacement for iPhone, since iPod is not a phone

b) iPhone is not a replacement for the iPod since it has way too little storage-space.

People who are in the market for a new phone are not going to pick iPod over the iPhone. And people who want a iPod with large storage-space are not going to pik the iPhone over the iPod.

19. calculus Guest

calculus

In that case you should have it put down!

20. net26 macrumors member

my few month old 5.5g 80gb white iPod is quite free from scratches, although i should point out that i take REALLY good care of it. it ALWAYS in an iPod sock (I bought them as well :D) and i have not used the POS sleeve they included in the iPod package. i've seen them scratch the living h*** out of an ipod, especially the ones with the grainy leather interior. also, when i first got it, i cut a circle in the plastic film that was put on the ipod at assembly with an exacto/compass, so i could fully use the clickwheel (just be sure to remove it before cutting :D :D). it's a pain to get back on, but i think it's worth it and it's free!

another thing, the 4g 20gb i had before this one looked really beat up after 3 or 4 months, this one is doing A LOT better, probably cause i take better care of it...

n.

21. sonofjabba macrumors member

I have a INIT Clear Face Protector AND a XtremeMac Tuffwrap on my Black Video Ipod.. Yes they do scratch. I have an abused parts machine 5G Video that looks like someone took a Dual Action Sander too.

22. matt87305 macrumors newbie

new product great for fixing scratches

I found a product that claims to be better than the rest. It's great that they DO offer a full refund if it doesn't work, though. So I went for it and it worked quite well. it's called sx-fix, they've got a website.

www.sx-fix.com

it's cheaper than iDrops (which suck), at about 11.99 and the shipping's free, so they've got a good thing goin. good.

matt

23. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think it just depends on how you treat it. Sure if you put it in your pocket with keys it's gonna get scratched. However, my friend has a black iPod and, to be honest, I don't think they scratch as easily as people say they do. If you don't want to use a case get an invisible shield or a Martin Fields film (what I use) they're excellent.

24. robPOD macrumors 6502

25. murdoc158 macrumors regular

I'll second the InvisaShield. I have it on my iPod and will be ordering one for my new cell phone in a few weeks. It's really quality stuff and doesn't take away from the iPod's natural beauty.