Black and White

Discussion in 'Games' started by garzy, Apr 9, 2003.

1. garzy macrumors regular

has anyone played this game? it looks pretty cool, but ive seen mixed reviews about it. i wanted to get it for my laptop.
    if you could your thoughts about the game, that would be great. please note your system specs

im gonna be playing it on a 12in pb, 640mb, OSX 10.2.4

2. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i've heard it was an amazing game, unfortunately i only played it for about 2 minutes before it would crash on my pc.

it would run more than perfectly on your powerbook.

3. garzy thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, i talked to a guy who said it crashed on his pc a lot, too, so he didnt have anything positive to say about it

4. Jeffx342 macrumors regular

Great game. :)
    Only problem is that you get hooked on it and don't realize it's been hours since you've last looked away from the screen.

Black and White 2 looks %^&*ing awsome. Can't wait for it to come out.:D

5. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i've played Black & White on my TiBook (Rev. C 667, 768MB RAM OS 10.2.4) and it played well, no problems at all.

it's a good game as well, and as Jeffx342 said you get really involved in it and it's easy for time to slip away without realising. it's a decently long game, i'd definitely recommend it.:D

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I played it on my PC (back when I had one ;))...one of the coolest AND most frustrating games I've ever played.

I got it very soon after it came out, before any patches were released. I played until level 4 (I think) and my creature got stuck...wouldn't do a damn thing. When the patch came out I started all over, got to the end took over and/or destroyed all the villages...and got stuck. It wouldn't concede that I had removed all power from Nemesis.

So, between that and the constant crashes...I gave up on it.

Hopefully it's much better now...

7. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Hold on... Black and White 2 is coming? Holy crap! Anyone have any links to the screenshots?

To totalr0xx0r: Buy Black and White and kiss the outside world good-bye. Just take breaks every six or seven hours. :D

8. garzy thread starter macrumors regular

well i got the game, but it crashes before it even starts! the mouse icon for the game changes, but the screen stays black for a few seconds the goes back to my desktop with an error of:

The application Black & White has unexectedly quit. The system and other applicatoins have not been affected.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

edit: found a patch. gonna try that.

9. garzy thread starter macrumors regular

patched the game. it now loads the title, but crashes right after that with the same message.

10. garzy thread starter macrumors regular

i think ive detected the problem.
    the preferences data for the game isnt a .cfg or .ini file or anything that will open in a text edit program. first, it was acting as a preferences file from another program in lionheads folder. i trashed that, and started game and it did the same thing, made a preferences file for a program i use called capture and it was in the black and white preferences folder. i just trashed the whole capture one app (its a free download) and started the game. it crashes in the same way, but this time the preferences data is a ADT preferences file! iive never even used adt! what the hell is going on here? why isnt a configuation file being created that the game can understand?!

11. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Black & White is one of the best AI/conquest/strategy games I've ever played. 2 is going to rock my world. It sounds like they improved every shortcoming I can think of.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=7180

Dan

12. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

when you say you GOT the game, do you mean you bought the game or downloaded it? If you downloaded it thats probably the reason for the error, most likely its corrupted or something.

13. garzy thread starter macrumors regular

14. Computer_Phreak macrumors 6502

then you should be entitled to some kind of customer support from either the maker of black and white or the company that ported it to the mac

15. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Thanks Alset! Yeah, looks like I'm going to spend many more sleepless nights with B&W 2.

Coffee's brewing....

16. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

It s adictive that s all can say.

By the way, will it be possible to play it at the maximal resolution, namely 1024x48 on the alubook?

What happens if you got a second monitor installed will you play on both monitors or will you only play on the first one ?

17. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

I got B&W for my PC and I love it - not onnly is it a great game - I can walk around saying I SPANKED MY MONKEY TODAY and not think twice about it :D

God bless Lionhead studios

18. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I agree that you can say it with a clear conscience but should you be.........