Black Anodized Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BrettE, Jan 28, 2004.

1. BrettE macrumors newbie

It all started when I dropped my work Powerbook on my personal Powerbook, denting the rear of the screen on the personal powerbook. Unfortunately my Powerbook wasn't as sturdy as Jevel's (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57606), and it kill my screen; a replacement is on the way (for only $287! apple wanted $1300). I will cronicle that whole story at another time with plenty of pictures.

On to my real reason for posting:

While I have the outter case off of my screen off, I thought it might be fun to have the aluminum stripped and reanodized in black. Has this already been done before? I can't seem to find anyone that has. If this turned out ok, it would be followed by the rest of the outer aluminum

Thoughts, comments, ideas?

Brett

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I think that it would look really cool. Go for it, just be sure to post some pictures for all to see.

P.S sorry about the broken screen though:(

3. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-BrettE

Interesting idea. But I'd caution you against bathing and re-anodizing the skin of a PowerBook as the metal is already quite thin. The Sulfuric acid bath to strip the previous anodizing may thin it to the point that re-anodizing may make the skin far too brittle.

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I would love to do this. I think a black PowerBook would be really cool. Let us know how it went.

5. BrettE thread starter macrumors newbie

As I understand it, the anodizing process removes about .001" of the surface, and stripping it removes none. All told I'd loose .002".

According to my micrometer, the case is .031" thick. That might be cutting it a bit close...

Brett

6. cubist macrumors 68020

But why black? It'll look like a Dull. Why not light blue (what they call 'electric blue')?

7. BrettE thread starter macrumors newbie

Because it's mine, and I like black.

I would also like to point out that black anodized aluminum looks nothing like black plastic.

If you'd like to volunteer your Powerbook, I'd be happy to help you turn it powder blue :D

Brett

8. Engagebot macrumors regular

Hahahaha. very well said.

I'm with you, i'd do black too.

I've actually painted my PC case red. primed it several times and then used touch up paint from chevrolette that goes to the 2001 corvettes. if you spend enough time and dont rush things, you can come out looking great. I spent about 4 weeks on my pc's case.

anodizing i'm not sure i'd do myself though, but you could easily put a car finish on the thing.

9. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

There is a company (ColorWare PC) that will put a automotive quality finish on your iBook, PowerBook AND iPod.

It's not too cheap, but it's a cool way to go. I realise it's not the same as Black Anodized but...

You can buy direct from them painted or you can send your PB/iBook/iPod in...

http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/select_apple.aspx

macboyX

10. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

I have been thinking about this since apple came out with the ti powerbooks. If you plan on doing this, i suggest you call around to metal shops and see if you can find a piece of aircraft aluminum that is near the same thickness. Find a place near you and have it anodized and then stripped and reanodized. This should give you an idea of whether or not the metal can take it.

11. BrettE thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBoyX,

You're right, those aren't cheap! :eek:

I can have it anodized for under probably $200, plus my labor.

12. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Nope, I did post the wrong URL the first time. It's 299-399 for iBooks and PowerBooks to be painted...49 for an iPod.

http://www.colorwarepc.com/content.aspx?id=16

I am tempted to try it with my iPod...i love the color that changes from green to purple when it's moved in the light!

macboyX

13. BrettE thread starter macrumors newbie

Engagebot,

Actually I couldn't anodize it myself. Anodizing is a dipping process. We have a lot of stuff at work anodized. I would probably just use the same place (it is just up the road and all).

Now if only it were free! Buying a new screen and a new house is really taxing my cash flow. It's kind of hard to get SHMBO to go along with my anodizing plan...

Brett

14. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

The paint jobs are interesting, but i personally didnt like any of the available colors. I think anodizing would look better because you get the characteristics of the aluminum and it still looks metallic. The colors cover that up and make it look more like an ibook with a high gloss finish. The colors seemed to look better on the ipod and i noticed they have one very similar to what the hp one will look like.

15. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

It could be cool. I have a PowerBook G3 and I have to admit that between the black case with the white Apple logo and the sexy curves, it's still beautiful next to my PowerBook G4. I'm all for black, it's very subtle and attractive in my opinion.

16. BrettE thread starter macrumors newbie

Exactly. Painting it would just make it look like plastic.

Brett

17. KC9AIC macrumors 6502

KC9AIC

I know I've always loved the dark black plastic of the PowerBook G3s, and I've liked the metallic luster of the Titanium and Aluminum G4 PBs. I would love to buy a black anodized PowerBook G5 if they come out within the next year. It would combine the best of what I like from both lines.

18. RichP macrumors 68000

RichP

I cant imagine a painted surface on an ipod or powerbook holding up well. I have a black car, and if you touch it, the paint with swirl a scratch. A powerbook would be a disaster.

Anodizing would be much stronger and not have those characteristics unless you really scratched it good. Also, a good anodizing makes for a very rich-looking finish. Do it, good luck, and keep us posted!