Black Box Around Active Item

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mj71, Sep 19, 2005.

1. mj71 macrumors newbie

My bluetooth mouse ran out of battery and I was trying to do some keyboard only navigation. Somehow I turned on an option that places a totally annoying black box or rectangle around whatever item is active and has focus. This could be an icon in the finder or text in a warning box.

I tried to take a screenshot for clarity, but the act of taking the screenshot seems to move the box before the shot is taken.

Any idea how I can undo this?!? I'm thinking it's a Universal Access item, but I can't find any setting that changes it. :confused: I'm running Tiger with latest updates.

2. jassivemugs macrumors newbie

Hi There,

I had the same problem and you're right it is to do with universal access. I went in via systems preferences and turned off the following:

Voice Over - OFF
    Zoom - OFF

The "Enable Access for Assistive Devices" - should be unchecked.

This is all I did and it removed the box and the duplicate items in teh Apple Menu.

Good luck.

3. jw1487 macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Even three years later, you helped me out.

Must be something weird with the bluetooth settings. I was using a bluetooth keyboard, and after shutting my Macbook Pro, then reopening after a while, I had all the symptoms you described. (black box on active items, duplicates in the Apple Menu).

Following the steps above fixed the issue, though. Thanks!

4. aaisbell macrumors newbie

Six years later, and this helped me a lot.
    I was going insane with that black box and all the weird things that it was making my computer do.

5. MelleBos macrumors newbie

Better yet. 7 years later and you still helped me out! (It was the VoiceOver from what I gather...). Thanks! :D

6. AndrePretoria macrumors newbie

Life Saver from 2005!

Sorry, even better. I have just arrived in Kuwait City to speak at a congress, and no-one was able to help me get rid of this irritation that popped up 3 days ago. In my hotel room now, and you have just saved me from serious embarrassment- this box does not go away when in keynote presentation. Mine now gone- thx jassivemugs!!:D

7. Wendalore, Jul 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2013

Wendalore macrumors newbie

Me too, in 2013!

I just joined MacRumors so I could reply and join the club expressing appreciation! This black box/line happened to me, too, a few days ago. SO ANNOYING!! I also had a black rectangular box with white letters in which everything I wrote appeared. I had my sound off the whole time, but I think it repeated out loud what I was writing.
    I Googled and Googled and didn't even know how to describe what was happening, and I got all kinds of links. Finally I got this one!! Yay! (And I see there are a few other places that MacRumors address the topic.) I followed what the second guy that posted, in 2006, said to do. System preferences, Universal access, and turn things off. The only thing I had to turn "off" was the "voice over" feature. Not Zoom, and "Enable Access for Assistive Devices" was already unchecked.

Well, all I can say is that it has nothing to do with Blue Tooth at least in my case. I think what it has to do with in my case was some keyboard command that turned it on. I was fooling around with something, and my hands slipped on the keyboard, and there the thing was. Can't tell you WHAT the keyboard command is, though. I am as happy as a clam! At high tide!! :D

8. tomasio macrumors newbie

tomasio

9. Chica2016 macrumors newbie

Same here -- in 2016 (OS: El Capitan).
    Thank goodness for this helpful tip, because the fix certainly wasn't obvious.