Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sharpie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
Hi,

For some reason black boxes have started appearing around files, text, folders and more whenever I select any of them. Also, Shutdown, restart, and logoff appears twice in the apple menu. I have no idea what happened. I noticed it started after I closed Flash 8. I tried to restart and shutdown, but neither worked. Has anyone had this problem or now how I can fix it?

Thanks

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Are you also hearing anything as you select menu options/press buttons, or is your sound off?

You might have accidentally enabled Voiceover - press Command + Function F5 to turn it off.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
What version of OS X are you using?

Whenever i have a problem, i repair permissions, rarely helps but can sometimes make a difference. i have not had this problem or have heard of this problem. Maybe if you can post a screenshot, it could help.

I just tried turning on voice over, annoying, but i has the black boxes around things as you seem to be having the problem with.

Good luck!

now to turn it off.

sharpie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 12, 2006
yeah that was the problem. I had the sound off so I didn't know. Thanks alot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.