Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
Go to System Preferences>Desktop and Screensavers, click the desktops tab, then go to Solid Colours and select your colour.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
:confused:

Create a black image file and set it as background:

"System Preferences -> Desktop & Screen Saver -> Desktop -> Pictures Folder"

If you don't have image editing software, you can make a screen capture of something black. For instance something written in a large font in TextEdit. Or use this:

Attachments

• black.png
    black.png
    196 bytes · Views: 5,908

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
gekko513 said:
:confused:

Create a black image file and set it as background:

"System Preferences -> Desktop & Screen Saver -> Desktop -> Pictures Folder"

If you don't have image editing software, you can make a screen capture of something black. For instance something written in a large font in TextEdit. Or use this:

You really don't need to do that. It's much simpler to just select black for your background color under Solid Colors

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
killuminati said:
You really don't need to do that. It's much simpler to just select black for your background color under Solid Colors
It's just that black isn't there, only dark grey.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
gekko513 said:
It's just that black isn't there, only dark grey.

You just need to select it from the color palette. There should be a colored box beside where the image stretching/tiling options are. Click that and it will bring up the colors.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
killuminati said:
You just need to select it from the color palette. There should be a colored box beside where the image stretching/tiling options are. Click that and it will bring up the colors.
That box only shows up when you select a custom image that is smaller than the screen and select a stretching option that leaves some of the background uncovered by the image.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
gekko513 said:
That box only shows up when you select a custom image that is smaller than the screen and select a stretching option that leaves some of the background uncovered by the image.

Strange, because it works fine for me to use that to set a solid background colour.

I feel bad for the OP, we've taken over his thread arguing about such a simple thing :p

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
killuminati said:
Strange, because it works fine for me to use that to set a solid background colour.

I feel bad for the OP, we've taken over his thread arguing about such a simple thing :p
Ditto, which version of OS X are you using? I don't get a colour box for "Solid Colors" on either of my two Macs running 10.4.6.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I'm on a friends iMac G4 and he's running 10.2.8. It seems strange that apple would take this feature out. I'll have to check on my computers when I get home.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I did as gekko513 suggested and created a solid black .png only I placed it in the /Library/Desktop Pictures/Solid Colors folder so that it will show up permanently in the preferences.

edrifkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
FistfulofAngst said:
I did as gekko513 suggested and created a solid black .png only I placed it in the /Library/Desktop Pictures/Solid Colors folder so that it will show up permanently in the preferences.

Thanks for all the posts.. now I changed my background to black, I cannot distinguish between the desktop background and my xterm window.. I thought there were some lines around the xterm windows, but apparently not. Any idea how to have this border lines for the xterm windows to appear? Or maybe I have to change the xterm background to something else like 'transparent gray'.. how can I do this??

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
What kind of xterm are you using? Apple's X11? Or are you talking about Terminal windows?

edrifkin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2006
mad jew said:
Uncompress it with Stuffit and then head to System Preferences where you can use Choose Folder to pick it out and use it. :)

Is this file for creating black background for the desktop or resolving issue of creating a border for the xterm window?

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Maybe you should consider not using black? Black isn't there as a background colour option for a reason. The windows casts shadows so that you can tell where the edges are even for borderless windows, but that doesn't work when the background is already black.

Maybe a dark grey background and dark grey xterm windows will give a similar style to the one you're going for?

Poeben

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2004
edrifkin said:
The resolution is 1680 x 1050.. thanks alot!

Couldn't you just make say a 16x16 black square and tile or stretch to fill screen? That's the way I used to do it.

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
Poeben said:
Couldn't you just make say a 16x16 black square and tile or stretch to fill screen? That's the way I used to do it.
See post #3 in this thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.