Black Friday???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coachingguy, Nov 13, 2006.

1. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I know this may be a dumb question, but reading the forums that last week or two, I've seen people referring to "Black Friday" as a good day to buy. What and When is "Black Friday"? Why is it a good day to buy?

Thanks

Coachingguy

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Black friday is the day after thanksgiving and is CALLED Black friday because the stores do SO much business that they turn a profit for the year and go back "into the black" so to speak. Black Friday is also the biggest shopping day of the year due to the "doorbuster" deals and other promotions going on that day. Apple usually has specials both online and in store on Black Friday.

3. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

the day after thanksgiving... if you live in the US, you should know why it's a good day to buy;)

4. bevo macrumors regular

black friday = first friday after thanksgiving

Usually a lot of stores will have some great deals starting at 5am.

can get some pc laptops at less then $400 (normaly 750+). And other items like a 200gb HD for $20. Varies from store to store.

5. shecky Guest

shecky

i never usually bother with black friday deals but a couple of years ago (on the spur of the moment) i waited in line at 5AM at a compusa to get a $500 video card for $200. and hour of waiting was worth $300. i was up super-late anyway so i figured what the hell and stayed up an extra few hours.

6. BengalDuck macrumors regular

Does Apple sell Memory in their stores?

I never even though about purchasing that stuff on Black Friday. Figured Apple would never discount their stuff. Anyways, would BF be a good day to stop and purchase some memory for my 17" 1.67 Ghz G4 PB? Do they even sell that stuff in the stores?

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's primarily a US thing. Here we see a gradual build with a real explosion in December. Christmas decorations went up in September in some supermarkets and department stores and it's just been getting busier since then.

I reckon the biggest shopping period down here would be an even split between the pre-Christmas shopping and the post-Christmas sales starting on Boxing Day. Boxing Day is a massive shopping day in the city, in the towns not so much because they're all still mainly closed. The centre of Sydney on a warm sunny Boxing Day is packed to the rafters with people out to take advantage of the sales.

I've been trying to convince the family to move out Christmas celebrations to mid-January when nearly every store in Australia is having a sale and therefore we'd be able to get more pressies for less cash. A little ulterior motive of mine is that I'd be able to take advantage of the announcements from MWSF.

8. MisterEd macrumors 6502

Dude, Christmas isn't just about presents, you know.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I know. It's also about either sitting on the beach eating seafood or sitting inside at my Nan's eating myself stupid on cold cuts of meat and fresh fruit and salad and pudding.

Followed up by left-over ham sandwiches consumed on Boxing Day watching the cricket inside with the air-con up full blast to take the edge off the heat.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

lets not turn this religous please.

anyways. yeah Black Friday is supposed to be the biggest shopping day, blah, blah, blah. i don't go out usually unless there is some huge deal that can't be passed up, and thats rare too. i hate dealing with crowds like that.

11. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Since when was the mention of Christmas being a religious event a problem?

Although this doesn't express my views of religion in anyway, the person who said that Christmas is not just about receiving gifts was 100% accurate. Furthermore, they had EVERY right to make this observation.

You don't own the forum mate.

David

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

except that this thread isn't about religion, there is that for one.
    and for the most part religious debates get ugly fast. again, what this thread is not about. this is a privately owned forum. i am well aware of that. we only have the right to say things that are in line with the forum rules in all technicality.

13. thebiggoose macrumors 6502

thebiggoose

does anyone thnk that apple will have ay deals? Possibly a sale on the refurb CD MB's?:confused: :confused: :confused:

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Just from memory, the last "Black Friday" sale at Apple consisted of a decent discount from new iBooks and iMacs as well as iPod accessories. It wasn't much of a sale but the discounts were in the order of US$150 on the computers so were definitely nothing to sneeze at.

Don't expect a massive sale across all the products though - it'll just be selected items.

15. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Typically Apple's Black Friday is a late thing, not an all day thing. They do it from like 6-midnight. Though I think they have done it all day too.

In past it has been stuff like 10% off any Mac, Airport Express $99 (reg. $129), $20-30 off iPods, things like that. They will try to have a theme to it. Expect them to push iMacs, MacBooks, iPods, iPod Hi-Fis will most likely be in sale (maybe $299 or $319).

As far as memory, I would be absolutely shocked if upgrade RAM was on sale. Apple will focus on new items, and while iPod accessories may be on sale, everything else will be tied in to bigger purchases. And their deals on Macs are never any better than an EDU discount at best (and no, they can't be combined).

16. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

That would be nice if y ou could compound the student discount :)

17. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

I doubt it. Keep on dreaming... :)

18. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Last year was $101 off of iBooks and iMacs, as well as discounts on AirPort Express, iSight, .Mac, and other third-party accessories. The year before had discounts on iBooks and iPods, as well as some accessories.

Pro-level machines have never been discounted for Black Friday.

No, you can't combine the Black Friday discount with the EDU pricing.

Yes, it is an all-day thing.

19. djkny macrumors 6502

Religious? A celebration of the birth of christ -- just a historical fact.

20. shecky Guest

shecky

more like a celebration of the birth of retail.

21. nitynate macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes: Ok....
    Whatever you say...

22. macjay macrumors 6502

Anyone know if MacMall/Club Mac has in the past had sales on that day?

23. weeag macrumors regular

Are the sales of which you speak just at apple online or will the same sales be in apple stores?

And what about iPods from retailers? Would wally-world discount them though apple doesn't?