BLACK/GREYISH SPOTS DRIVING ME MAD!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nightdweller25, Aug 10, 2005.

1. nightdweller25 macrumors 6502

Ok, ever since I got Tiger, I sometimes see pixely dark grey blotches on pictures that have black, at first I tried turning Quartz 2D Extreme off and restarting my PowerBook, but no luck, could it be Core Image? (The reason why I ask if it's Core Image is because my sister 12-inch 1 GHz iBook doesn't get the blotches and does not support Core Image) Heres and example of a pic where i get the blotches: http://www.deviantart.com/view/939982/ and a picture of what i see from my screen is attached. (I can increase the contrast or make the picture darker with iPhoto to get rid of them but I don't think it's right that I have to do that especially when my sisters iBook doesn't have this problem)

Attached Files:

2. nightdweller25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Anyone?

Please help me! Am I really the only one with this problem? Do I need to reinstall Mac OS X?

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The blotch is really there in that image, it's just a dark enough gray that it won't show on all screens.

You may want to adjust your brightness, or choose a different display profile from the Color tab of the Displays preferences (or even go through the Calibrate song and dance if none of the presets satisfy you).

4. nightdweller25 thread starter macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, I have tried this already and by the time I get it to be dark enough for the grey blotch not to show, everything is too dark. Is it my screen? Do other 12-inch PowerBook owners see this or is my screen defective?

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It's not a defect with your screen, it's just that the quality of the image isn't very good. Your PowerBook's display is likely of higher quality than the one in your sister's iBook, so it's better at showing off details (including defects) in an image.

This is a really common problem, though. Windows and Mac displays use a different gamma setting, so uncorrected Mac-originated images tend to look dark on a PC, and uncorrected Windows-originated images appear faded on a Mac.

6. nightdweller25 thread starter macrumors 6502

ooooooo

Thank you so much for you help, I have calibrated my screen and set it to the PC standard gamma setting, I'll just have to get used to it, thanks again.

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

OS X looks so bad on the PC gamma setting. :(