iPad mini Black iPad Mini with a silver sleep/wake button (cosmetic defect).

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 88uu, Mar 29, 2013.

1. 88uu, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

macrumors newbie

I got this brand new ipad mini two days ago off of local CL for real cheap.
    The box was unopened, still in shrink wrap/sealed.
    I opened it later that day and noticed the color of sleep/wake button on the ipad was wrong. Instead of being slate/black, its silver like the ones you find on the white ipad mini.
    Everything else is & works fine, only other blemish I found was some minor scuffgate but I could care less about those.
    I call the local apple store, explained my situation, and they told me that the s/n checks out fine and will replace mine with a new one if I bring it in.
    But the nearest apple store is about 2 hour drive and I'm currently contemplating if I should make the trip.
    Any thoughts or advice?

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 65816

AQUADock

You can't really do anything else other than take it to apple unless you want to colour it with a black sharpie.

3. macrumors 6502

I think you should keep it! It's very unique.

4. 88uu, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I been searching online for the past few hours to see if someone else has one with a simliar cosmetic flaw as mine but no avail. It's one of a kind I guess lol.

5. macrumors 65816

adnbek

Keep it. Doesn't affect functionality in the least and I think it actually looks pretty cool that way. Now I wish mine was that way too. :D

6. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

I would trade it in just for the fact that if you have an issue six months later, they could see it as a problem and say that it voids the AppleCare. Because what was said today, isn't usually the case next week.

7. macrumors 6502a

It'd be awesome if the volume buttons were the same!

8. macrumors 6502

Unless he asks Apple customer service to note it in his account/Apple ID/serial #. That way they will know it was a defect from the start and not something he did on his own.

9. macrumors 6502a

Craigslist means that more then likely some has opened this mini and swapped parts.
    Is it a 64GB with only 16GB of space?
    I would never purchase electronics from CL. Good luck with it.

10. macrumors 601

eawmp1

This means nothing in 2013.

Did you confirm the S/N from the device itself (not the box)?

11. macrumors 6502

Doh! I missed that this was purchased on CL.

Exchange it.

12. macrumors 65816

Exchange it with Mr. Craigslist?

13. macrumors 68000

Medic311

now that is a 1 in a million photo right there LOL

i would get it replaced - you don't know what else could have gotten mixed up that you can't see

chances are they ran out of sleep buttons in black slate so they just grabbed a silver one just to get an extra product out the door. the assemblers likely have quotas.

something like this is pretty hard to miss unless you are seriously color blind. even a mildly color blind person would have caught the difference. this was clearly done intentionally

14. macrumors 6502

No, not with Mr. Craigslist.

15. thread starter macrumors newbie

It's 16gb model. No signs of tampering whatsoever.
    But I know what you mean. I was skeptical at first but it was unopened & the price was too good pass up.

16. macrumors 68000

Medic311

i would swap it, even if it means driving 2 hrs

17. macrumors 6502

If it sounds too good to be true. . . . you know the rest.

I'd take it in.

18. macrumors 6502a

You should keep it. Its going to be worth billions of dollars in the future!

19. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I checked both s/n number with a apple rep and it's clean. Local apple store employee I spoke to on the phone said the same. Warranty will expire in late march 2014.

20. macrumors 68040

You got it real cheap so after you checked with Apple I'd say good luck and hope it works out for you. I started a thread wanting the back of a white mini on my black's back instead.

21. macrumors 68020

aPple nErd

Keep it in the box and sell it. It's rare so people will pay a good amount for it.

22. thread starter macrumors newbie

I been using it non-stop for the past two days no prob so far. Here are some more photos I took before opening the device. Let me know if you guys spot anything suspicious.

Attached Files:

23. macrumors 68040

You have their consent to replace it so just keep using it and decide later.

I say it was altered, not an error on Apple's part. Just my humble opinion though.

It may be unique but if was in the market for a used mini, I would not buy yours if you wanted to sell it down the road.

24. macrumors 6502

Nope, nothing suspicious, but again that doesn't really mean anything nowadays.

People were busted in Chicago for selling fake iPads!! Think about it. If you can fake an entire iPad, what's a bit of packaging and wrapping?

25. macrumors 65816

The color is nice but swap it