Black is the new white!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by jimN, Sep 9, 2005.

1. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Not sure where else i'm allowed to post this but it seems as good a place as any. Now that apple have realised that their products don't have to be white is it possible we'll see a choice of white or black in future products - ie in the iBook. I think that an iMac would look a bit naff and dominant with a large black surround. But the iBook could look gorgeous. The cost to apple would be non existent and i'm sure that the change to their production line would be minimal to accomodate the option.

After all if you bought your nano and the halo is bringing you to the light side isn't there a chance that you'll want to stay dark!!

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

you make a good point, this might be the start of two colour options when it comes to mac-related hardware...

although- the docks are still white...

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I think a smooth, shiny, black plastic iBook would look like cheap crap.

Black, or even a very dark grey anodized aluminium.......now THAT would be sweet.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Yeah, it needs to be a variation of black that doesn't show fingerprints and scratches quite so easily. The gloss black of the nano is not going to look good for very long, in my opinion.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Don't tempt him :D
    [​IMG]

6. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

There was a Japanese guy who painted his G4 iMac black. Cool hack.

I'm too lazy to Google it

7. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

Well to me the idea of a black iBook seems repulsive but then again if apple did it I am sure it could look ok...

8. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

There's a guy on this board who painted his iBook black. I thought it came out real nice ...

9. dcv macrumors G3

I thought the same thing, that perhaps they might start to offer a black version of the iBook. Perhaps the outside could be the shiny gloss black and the inside, i.e. keyboard, edge of display, touchpad and palm rest area could be made out of matte plastic to minimise fingerprints - like the clickwheel material.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agree with most of the above, except I'll just correct myself and say that a small, smooth, shiny black plastic item like the iPod Nano would look very very good, larger products with larger flat surfaces wouldn't look good. It better be matted, or anodized aluminium. Whatever doesn't make it look so shiny. Shiny black plastic looks cheap to me.

11. jimN thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimN

not saying that i want black just that people seem to like it. I agree on the amodized metal front but this is the ibook we are talking about not the powerbook.