Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Grood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Any news on the launch of a Black i Mac?

Worth waiting for, or wasting my time?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I have to agree.. I think you're wasting your time. I believe there's 3rd party companies that will paint your iMac if you want.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
They have?

Well, since they've not offered alternative colors on any computers since the original iMacs, I don't think it's applicable.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
All black computers are like dell's. Apple is famous for it's white and blue color combination - I don't think they'll be straying from that any time soon really.

The Grood

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2006
Obviously I don't mean grotty cheap plastic Dell tat matt black.

I mean gloriously glossy Mac black a la iPod.

Mmmm. You know it makes sense.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
I agree a black iMac could look nice, think iPod Nano/grand piano but it still ain't gonna happen. At least not anytime soon.

D0ct0rteeth

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2002
Franklin, TN
munkle said:
I agree a black iMac could look nice, think iPod Nano/grand piano but it still ain't gonna happen. At least not anytime soon.

Yeah. Colorware does em - but I think it looks ass without black keys and black wires etc..

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
D0ct0rteeth said:
Yeah. Colorware does em - but I think it looks ass without black keys and black wires etc..

Doesn't Colorware give you a keyboard too? As for the wires, looking at the iPod, if Apple *did* do it, I somehow doubt they'd make the wires black... :(

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Doesn't really work...

Attachments

• 4534.jpg
    4534.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 523

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
On problem with black is that it is really bad for showing dust. On an ipod it's not a big deal, since it won't have a chance to collect dust on it, but desktop computers are rarely moved, so they will likely collect some dust on top.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
Dreadnought said:
So why is the dock only available in white?
Also, look at my avatar, this is taken from my iBook. It's from the back of the screen, at night. Black enough?!?
iBooks used to be black also.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I thin Apple's super-glossy black looks just as slick and high-end as their super-glossy white.

A black iMac and/or iBook/MacBook seems like a possibility to me--especially as Mac sales grow. A certainty? No. Soon? I doubt it. But I do think it could happen some time and would be very cool. (With black keyboard and lighted letters? Even cooler!)

Also, EVENTUALLY Apple will do something very different visually. It won't be white and metal FOREVER. Black would be in keeping with their minimalist trend, while still being visually fresh.

There has been no news of anything like this though.

howesey said:
iBooks used to be black also.
iBooks never were, but PowerBooks were black for a time.

Uma888

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2005
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Head over to bamfrd&sons. they will MAKE you a Black iMac ( or what every colour it may be)

Iv seen a Black 17" PowerBook (£6k) and an iPod with a Silver back (£5k)

Both have been shown in T3

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I think the black iMac could well happen. Sooner or later the white look is going to get old and tired, and the fact Apple already ship a black iPod is a good indicator it's not too far away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.