Black MacBook Paint Concerns

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by steve_hill4, May 21, 2006.

1. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Not sure what anybody else has read on this, but yet another Apple cock-up it appears. They appear to be using different paint jobs/casing for the White and Black MacBooks. The paint on the Black models is starting to flake:

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2397

Makes me glad that I have a MBP made of aluminium.

2. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

Old news. I have only seen one pic of it (the one that is in the article). Some people on here have dismissed the rumor on their black MBs.

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

That article (in my opinion) is poorly written. I tend to dismiss articles such as this one.

4. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Got the article from link at bit-tech. First I've heard of it. Even if it isn't the most informative article, it gives you what information is currently available and that at the moment is limited.

If enough people have problems though and even Apple employees air concerns, (as the article suggests), then it would be yet another PR problem for them, especially if they are paying $200 extra for 20GB and a bad paint job.

5. ncook06 macrumors regular

I never believe crap like this unless it's widespread...

Just get white and save the $150!

6. zach macrumors 65816

zach

if you scroll down on that page, the original poster has made a clarification... this is ONE incident, noticed on ONE display model, in ONE apple store.

this could very well be a prerelease model that was painted black because they didn't have the actual black ones in stock, the OP said his store received a shipment of new black MacBooks and he sees absolutely no flaws whatsoever with the ?coating? ?plastic? whatever it is.

edit: link to clarification article: http://marklem.com/mlem/?p=12

7. wyrmintheapple macrumors regular

It really makes me SOOOO aNGRy when I see "articles" like this on "news" sites that are nothing more than reposts of something that they heard from a friend who saw it posted on a blog about what happened when a bloke was peering over the shoulder of a customer in an Apple store.

They don't "retract" their ******** news later, so tomorrow I got all my friends saying "I hear the paint on those crappy macs falls off..." Then I gotta load the sites, find the source, show em all the clarification......

8. steve_hill4 thread starter macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Good call Zach. I'm keeping my eye on this subject though and am in eager anticipation of getting the new models into store to play with.

Can anyone close this topic for me? I feel I am angering too many here. :(

9. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

the two black macbooks i was playing around with at the tysons corner (northern va) apple store seemed to be holding up very well. seeming them, and getting to play with them has shattered all doubt i had about buying one and i plan on making the purchase fairly soon.

10. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

You know what my main concern is? That it looks less like an apple and more like a cheap dell... that plasticy black is scary looking for me, i'd much rather have white or aluminum.

11. jwdawso macrumors regular

jwdawso

No way....

I saw the MacBooks at the new NY 5th ave store yesterday, and no way will they flake. Whatever Apple used to make them black is not a "flaking" substance. I did find one that was scratched - no different then seeing any other color scratched.

As far as "do they look too much like a PC" - NO! The color and shape are distinctively Apple.

As far as which one to choose - I'd go for the white if I were buying now, because $150 is too much of a premium. Now if they were equal in price, it would be a very difficult decision.

12. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

someone had made a joke about this. it isnt true.

13. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

There's this thing called PRODUCT TESTING. That report is ********.

14. generik macrumors 601

generik

Product testing? Yeah? What about it?

Producing laptops that goes to 80 degrees on the surface? Deliberately smearing thermal paste just so to prevent the fans from spinning up creating a "silent" laptop? Keys that drop out when you so much as look at it the wrong way?

What were you saying about product testing again?

Don't get me wrong, it is pretty obvious that Apple is not doing as much of this as you are lead to believe.

15. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Those are valid points, but I'm talking about the flaking. I think their testing is better than a fingernail swipe.

16. generik macrumors 601

generik

My guess is that they didn't even bother.

17. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

My guess that this is the only picture of said problem.

18. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Or even like one of those cheap old Apple PowerBooks that we hated so much. :eek:

I hated the black MacBook so much that I bought one so that others wouldn't have to suffer with it.

19. Spartacus macrumors member

Yellowish keys

Is it just me or does the keyboard on the white MBs look kind of yellow or off-white compared to the color of the rest of the computer? I found this to be F-ugly making the black ones a little more attractive for the money. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? I'd take a flaking Apple looking black one over the gross off-white keyboard of the white ones.

And what's the deal with this 'gamer's Macbook' that various MacRumor posters have claimed as 'rumored'? Is there any validity to this?

20. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

Remember that Magsafe on somebody's MPB that caught fire? Same thing, a one-off.

I knew a guy who was hit by lightning once. Does this mean that it is unsafe to have a nice walk in the rain?

21. MacBookDJ macrumors newbie

I'm not sure who, besides you, hated the old black PowerBooks. They're generally regarded as some of the best notebooks Apple ever made. My Pismo is 6 years old and still going strong.

And BTW, the black MacBooks are not painted.

22. Smallville macrumors regular

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Good stuff.

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

You think they smeared large amounts of thermal past to prevent the fans from spinning up? I hope you realize they could have done that via the code they wrote to control the temperature at which the fans turn on. They could have adjusted the threshold temperature to whatever they wanted, even 100 C. They didn't do this in order to prevent the fans from coming on all the time.

24. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Apple has clearly been lax in some areas. I have spent time with both MB models (with more on the way in the week ahead), but I do not sense this will be a repetitive problem with widespread dealbreaker potential for the customers considering one in black.

I could live with either model, but may go with the black, 80 GB and 1 GB of RAM. Price difference is excessive, but I have plenty of work ahead revamping all iTunes playlists and burning new customized CDs. It is time to take out the credit card and move on.

25. servognome macrumors newbie

I get a similar "issue" when I scratch the top of my Thinkpad. It takes a lot of scratching to get the effect, and it really doesn't come off in flakes, its just the finish looks different, and only is apparent in bright lighting conditions.