Black or White MB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Racktacular, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Racktacular macrumors regular

I've tried searching this forum to no avail on the different opinions on white v.s. black. if this has been discussed (I assume it has) can someone please post a link for this discussion.

If it hasn't been discussed can we have some opinions. All I know is that the black book leaves a lot of finger prints and is more expensive for no reason. And the white MB can get discolored easily.

Thanks

Rack

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

basically the white is cheaper, the black is cooler (not in terms of temperature. ;) ) (and costs £150 more)

3. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Aside from the obvious technical spec differences and the things you've mentioned, what else is there? It really just comes down to personal preference. Do you like the black or do you like the white?

4. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I think the black macbook is probably gonna be updated soon.

5. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Why would they only update the black MacBook and not the white?

6. maycontainnutz macrumors member

maycontainnutz

i find it a shame that Apple never continued to make the casing with a high gloss finish like they had on the iBook... now the MacBooks have a dull plasticy look that's dull and boring... they should have stuck to a high gloss finish, the black would have looked awesome

7. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I couldn't disagree more. Black is boring and just looks too similar to other black laptops, whereas white is more unique and eye-catching. I've never understood the appeal of black iPods and now MacBooks. It just makes them seem so ordinary compared to the white color.

So to original poster: get the white! I would advocate getting the 1.83 GHz model (which is negligible difference from 2.0 GHz), and selecting whatever upgrades you want (e.g. Superdrive or larger hard drive) that are available in the other models. It's more cost-effective *and* you get a cooler computer ;)

8. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

go with the white one - spend the $ difference on extra ram...then enjoy it.

9. sierra oscar macrumors 6502

the black shows up skin oils in the extreme
    the white is prone to getting discoloured and a little shiny

Just a personal observation - the white (apart from the discolouration in some casings - that apple is replacing) - the white tends to look better longer term - the black looks like ppl are eating pizza on it daily - it's that greasy looking in the units I've seen.

Some MBP's have pitting - so every model has it possible weak points - cosmetically speaking.

10. iVersa macrumors 6502

11. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

I second that

White is my personal favourite

12. Racktacular thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the thoughts thus far.

Money isn't an object so I don't want price to be the deciding factor on whether I go white or black. Also I like the look of both the white and black so that isn't an issue either.

To me it seems like the two issues that I want to make a decision on are:

1) Black gets oily and fingerprints all the time
    2) White get discolored

Basically, which one is better to live with? It perhaps is like selecting the better of two evils.

I suppose I could ask it this way: Let's say that you have two Macbooks one white and one black. Your white MB is discolored and your black MB is really oily and you have to clean it all the time. Now you have to sell one for whatever reason. Which one do you sell?

Thanks!

Rack

13. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

I prefer black but that is my preference. There is no advantage in specs really but it looks nicer.

14. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

:confused: The white Macbook still has that glossy finish, only the Black one is matte.

I lean towards the black because oil smudges/fingerprints can be wiped off. Plus the case won't scratch as easily.

I have an iBook, and the case gets dirty smudges from hands. You can see fingerprints on it too, they just don't look quite as oily. It gets scratched and the scratches are visible, and then dirt kind of sinks into the scratch so it's even more visible. Overall, it just seems to get dull and dingy over time, but I loved it when the color was white. ;)

Btw, Apple will replace discolored Macbooks. But slight discoloration from normal use (the wrist area/trackpad get slightly worn and off-colored) is probably unavoidable.

15. minnesotamacman macrumors regular

Speaking from my opinion... I like the black look, but I got oily fingertips and the keyboard looked terrible, as did the track pad. I don't care for the white look, but it easier to clean and care for.

That being said, it all depends on the user.

16. mccldwll macrumors 65816

303 Protectant

Has anyone tried 303 Protectant on their computers to protect against smudges, oily blotches, etc.? I haven't, but months ago spoke to someone at the company who said he had been using it on his for years. I've been using it for 10+ years on assorted outdoor gear--latex drysuit gaskets, kayaks, neoprene, outdoor fabric, car rubber trim,....Especially in marine applications, it's the greatest thing since sliced bread to prevent against fading from UV light. Google it. I have nothing to do with the company, and no laptop to try it on at the moment. If anyone has an old ibook around, please try it and report back. I wouldn't want to be a probe on a new macbook.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If money isn't an issue, then why not get a Macbook Pro? It's better than all of the Macbook models.

If you are going to get a Macbook, you might as well get the black one. It looks more professional. Black has an air of sophistication, the white kind of looks like a toy IMO.

18. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

The blackbook is *so* much nicer. I love it. I had a white MB and I sold it to buy a black one.

1- The white scratches like crazy. Yes, the blackbook picks up oils, but those are easily wiped off. You can't wipe off scratches.

2- I've seen some year old+ iBooks and they are DIRTY. There's just no getting away from it: white things will pick up dirt. The white macbooks are no exception.

3- I think the glossy white looks cheap. I wasn't a fan of the iBooks whatsoever, and the white macbooks remind me too much of them.

19. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I've had my MacBook for 6 months now with no discoloration. And I'm always using it while eating a greasy pizza or sandwich or something. You should be fine with white.

20. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Heh, to each his own I guess. I've owned the G3 iBook, G4 iBook, and now the white MacBook. I also bought the white iPod nano when the colors were white and black. I just think black is boring. Consumer electronics have been black since the first TVs and transistor radios. Where's the fun in that? I don't think the white looks cheap I think it looks stylish.

21. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

I half agree with you. I *do* agre that the black looks more professional. In fact, it kinda looks like my boring black IBM Thinkpad that I use for work. When spending my own money, though, why on earth would I want to buy the same boring black computer that I get at work?

So I agree with you that the black looks more professional but where I disagree with you is that I think that's a reason *not* to get the black. I love my white MacBook. Just looking at it, it looks like a more fun computer. Does that make it look like a toy? Depends on your definition I guess. I'm a computer professional so I use my MacBook at home strictly for fun. I guess ultimately I don't even mind my MacBook looking like a toy because that's what it is to me.

22. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

23. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

24. jTreu macrumors 6502

black for me, it looks a lot sleeker and the matte feels nicer.

25. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Uh, the Black and White Macbooks are made of the same type of plastic. Just because you can't see the scratches on the Blackbook as well as you can on the white doesn't mean they arent there.