Black people steal, white people get lucky....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by evoluzione, Aug 31, 2005.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    See, black people steal, but white people find!

just another reason why i don't read/watch propoganda filled news :rolleyes:

thanks to "Samarkand" at our LFCNY forums for the original find.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    gotta love the press pushing stereotypes down on society too, maybe thats why they still are an issue? hmmm
  3. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    News is never objective despite what they keep promoting on TV and in the papers. Anybody with half-a-brain should realize that by now.
  4. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    While I hope the reporters here actually have some form of proof to support their statements and it's just bad reporting I fear like you it's just the worst kind of reporting and bigotry. :mad:

Not nearly as inflammatory but a couple of story's caught my eye today:-
    From "The Sun" a UK tabloid, I believe the biggest circulation national daily, a story about national football(soccer) star Wayne Rooney having employed an interior designer who's appeared on BBC's home make-over show changing rooms to decorate his new mansion. It should be noted that the designer on the TV show has a budget off £500 and 48hrs and once used some breeze blocks to form a bench seat.
    This story got half of page3 and included a photoshop picture of the star and his celeb girlfriend seated on a breeze block bench with the caption "How the star might look on a breeze block bench" while buried on page 7or9 was the story about an arson attack which knowingly killed a baby!

Another was I think from the "News of The World" which is "The Sun's" sister paper on a Sunday was a harmless 'story' of an E-list UK celeb only printed because they had a picture of her topless on a beach in St Tropez...only it wasn't St Tropez it was just a British beach on a sunny day, but I guess that wouldn't be glamorous enough.

I wish people wouldn't read this crap, it makes me mad to think that some believe and are influenced by the retards peddling it and how much money these people pour down the drain/into the retards pocket.
    :mad: :mad:
  5. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
  6. ----Bowie---- macrumors regular

Mar 29, 2004
  7. treblah macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2003
    Ugh. Before this turns into a stupid debate like the one on Fark from last night. Please note these are from two different sources. One is AFP/Getty Images and the other from the AP. That means two different writers people. Just because they are both on Yahoo! News Photos does not mean that Yahoo!, AFP, or the AP is racist.
  8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    very true, but more likely the person who is writing about the first photo is imposing stereotypes that need not be applied.
  9. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Yes, it would be more shocking if it was the same writer/editor/photographer but I still find it a coincidence that the caption for the white looters was so kind whereas the black person was clearly :rolleyes: looting.
  10. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2004
    Washington, D.C.
    Except Fox News. Fair and balanced. Like a fat kid on a see saw.
  11. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    View, read, glean
    Pronunciation: 'glEn
    Function: verb
    Etymology: Middle English glenen, from Middle French glener, from Late Latin glennare, of Celtic origin; akin to Old Irish doglenn he selects
    Date: 14th century
    intransitive senses
    1 : to gather grain or other produce left by reapers
    2 : to gather information or material bit by bit
    transitive senses
    1 a : to pick up after a reaper b : to strip (as a field) of the leavings of reapers
    2 a : to gather (as information) bit by bit b : to pick over in search of relevant material <gleaning old files for information>
    3 : FIND OUT
    - glean·able /'glE-n&-b&l/ adjective
    - glean·er noun
    Collegiate Dictionary
  12. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2005
    I don't want to get in a racial debate, but you are the one making this a racial issue. You ASSUME the only reason that author is refering to them as looters is because they are black. You have absolutely no foundation for this statement, and I believe it is because of wild statements like this that racism is still a problem. :confused:
  13. treblah macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2003
    Who knows? Did the photographers talk to the people. What happened before the pic was taken. For all we know the subject could have been yelling: "I'm going loot this whole town!" ;)

I'm just saying there is no need for the knee-jerk reaction that has popped up on many websites.
  14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    under what basis does the author claim that the person is a looter? he/she does not say that they were a witness to the crime, and if they were why wasn't something done about this? no the press have the power to persuade and they also need to learn how to write better as to not offend people. it is all in the language one uses. as it stands, the author of the picture had no reason to say that the person was looting, the individual could certainly have, but where is the evidence?
  15. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2003
    What strikes me as most amazing is that people actually want to debate over captions for a photo rather than focus on the real tragedy here. Hundreds and perhaps thousands of people have died and close to a million people are homeless throughout LA and MS. This has effected everyone, regardless of race. Now is certainly not the time for politics or a social debate, it's an insult to everyone that has died or otherwise suffered in those areas.
  16. uaaerospace macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2005
    He was there. You were not. Simple enough?

He doesn't have to say that. Does a reporter have to say they witness something when they are there taking the picture? That's given by him being there to take the photo or capture the video.

Do you realize that the police force in New Orleans is almost non existant? Arresting every looter is impossible. I heard even on the news that the prisoners were released from the New Orleans jails. How can your arrest more?

I fear the day that the media writes their stories not to offend someone. They are to report the truth, not the politically correct.

Where is your evidence that the author is sterotyping? The author has a picture, you have nothing.
  17. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    focus on the picture of the white people - they "found" supplies in a GROCERY store. Not on the ground or in their house. Is that not looting?
  18. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wow, I can't believe how many people want to change the subject or make excuses. The subject of this thread is a great example of racism, plain and simple. Can I prove it? No. Yet it is obvious that this type of message in the media is common and poisons us.

If you want to mourn the tragedy of what has happened down there, start your own thread. This one is about something else. I also think that people's interpretations of threads like this tell us quite a bit about them.
  19. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    It looks to me that in both pictures they were caught looting. It is wrong. The police are having a tough time controlling the problem.

The whole thing is just such a sad situation. A survival instinct takes over. From the pictures I've seen it just looks like items of all kind are floating in the water.

So there is no way to know for sure.
  20. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Jan 24, 2004
    East Lansing, MI
    But the question remains who wrote the blurbs? I'm not trying to stir the pot or anything but there are AP images in the local papes here and the captions are written by people working for the paper here and not the photographer.

Maybe somebody with newspaper experience can shed some light.

All in all, I hope your observation is correct...
  21. Verto macrumors 6502a

Jul 20, 2005
    Denton, TX
    I would have never even noticed it had it not been pointed out by this thread. I'd say the outcry over this has been allowed to grow out of proportion.

Were the captions written by the same people, at the same time? Perhaps one person refers to ALL incidents with a blanket "looting" description, whereas the other does not.

Of course, it is much easier to make a big fit out of nothing, and I'm sure this is all somehow Bush's fault.
  22. ham_man macrumors 68020

Jan 21, 2005
    Perhaps the white folks just found the bread floating along? Like you or I would find a penny?

You can't really form complete opinions without knowing the whole story...
  23. Daveway macrumors 68040

Jul 10, 2004
    New Orleans / Lafayette, La
    I have little problem with people that break into stores to buy food. I have a HUGE problem with the ones that are breaking into homes and businesses and steal shoes, TVs, and DVD players.

Local news radio said a few hours ago that there is a gang of men with AK47s who stole Post Office trucks and are going around stealing things and trying to get away.
  24. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    wow i really hope there is something to the story we have no idea about cuz if not WOW that terrible!!! that makes me :mad: :mad: unless there is something that we do not know behind the storys( i really hope that is the case)
  25. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Well, now that you mention it....