Black Sabbath's 1970s Albums Come to iTunes With Limited Exclusivity

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 14, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

A number of Black Sabbath's 1970s albums, including Paranoid and Masters of Reality have finally made their way to iTunes with limited exclusivity, according to The New York Times. Previously, only the band's later material was available on iTunes.
    [​IMG]
    Tony Iommi, the band's lead guitarist, said that it had "been a long time trying to explain to fans why the music wasn't available." While there is no official explanation for the delay, it's widely believed a dispute between the band and Warner Music was the cause.

The eight studio albums are available on iTunes for $9.99 apiece, while the three compilations range from $9.99 to $59.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Black Sabbath's 1970s Albums Come to iTunes With Limited Exclusivity

2. macrumors newbie

3. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

It's nice that Apple acknowledges that there is a genre called "Metal", but Black Sabbath is certainly not in it. They're Rock, maybe Hard Rock, but not Metal.

4. macrumors member

Yes they are considered metal, they started the genre. Sure they aren't as heavy as metal is consider today, but the genre had to start somewhere and it started with Black Sabbath.

5. macrumors newbie

And why the hell hasn't Apple added Indie to the genre list?? It's by far the most popular among older teens!

6. macrumors 68030

I'm an older teen and I'll take the Sabbath please.

7. macrumors demi-god

firedept

8. macrumors 65816

9. macrumors 65816

japanime

I'll bet the reason for the long delay in getting these albums to iTunes can be boiled down to two words:

Sharon Osbourne.

10. macrumors G3

roadbloc

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't Sabbath have something to do with starting the genre? Or at least I thought anyway.

Anyway, still Sabbath rule. I found their newest album surprisingly awesome.

11. macrumors 6502

Is this a US specific thing?

Black Sabbath have had their Ozzy era albums on iTunes here in the UK for quite a while now, both in their single 'disc' and double 'disc' Deluxe configurations. Likewise both configurations of the Ozzy era have been on Spotify in the UK for the same period.

If the Mastered for iTunes files represent an audible improvement then I might well buy them again. However the sound on the recent (2009?) 2 'disc' Deluxe reissues was pretty damned good - doubly so for the 2 early 80s Dio fronted albums.

12. macrumors 68020

Solomani

It could be. Some of the BEST U2 albums are still not available in the US iTunes Store, but apparently have been on the UK Store for years. :(

13. macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

I’ve got everything from the Ozzy era on CD and didn’t even realise that they weren't available on iTunes. Good to see that they’ve been added.

14. macrumors member

15. macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

Ha - no. It didn't start until nearly a decade later, with Metallica (I think. I'm not sure when exactly other early metal bands formed... Some were right about the same time as Metallica.)

16. macrumors member

You are out of your element, Donnie.

Sabbath, Deep Purple and Led Zepplin are considered the founders of metal. Judas Priest refined it, and THEN you started getting the thrash stuff you consider "metal".

17. macrumors member

disinfectant

Because it's not 2003 anymore and a genre by that name is way too ****ing vague these days.

18. macrumors newbie

Led Zepplin metal? You surly are mad.

19. macrumors 68030

Half the people can't even spell Led Zeppelin in this thread.

20. macrumors 6502a

ohbrilliance

1. You're comparing uncompressed and compressed bit rates.
    2. Mastered for iTunes tracks are created from 24 bit masters. Audio CDs are only 16 bit.

21. macrumors 65816

flottenheimer

It seems a little odd. Indeed. But what we are paying for is the convenience. The convenience of not having to order a CD. The convenience of not having to rip a CD. The convenience of not having to manage files on our computers. The convenience of not having to store a CD in our homes. 1-click. Buy. Listen.

It seems a little odd — but there is a high price and a big demand for convenience these days (even at the loss of quality). Understandibly so.

Still, you are right, it seems a little odd.

On a different note: For many, streaming is probably an even cheaper option. And some streaming services are even serving files in lossless quality now.

22. macrumors 6502a

Those things are inconvenient? Wow, I'm getting old.

23. macrumors G3

rhett7660

I doubt that, Ozzy has been in the itunes store for awhile now. And given her love to spend, I doubt she would want to leave money on the table. I could be wrong.

24. macrumors 68000

dernhelm

Lord I hope this is supposed to be irony. (Given that he spelled surely wrong)
    :rolleyes:

25. macrumors G3

rhett7660

Led Zeppelin bud,

I like the fact they are in the iTunes store, but a little late for me. I already have all of their albums. Can never have enough Black Sabbath in your music library, even the Ronny Dio years!