Black Screen on ibook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by calicoeyes, Nov 7, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

A few months ago I bought an ibook g4 on ebay for $250. It has worked great. I was informed that the model I bought had an issue with the connection between the screen and keyboard. A few times, the screen would go black, but I would re start and it would come back and be fine.
    Last night the screen went black and no matter how many times I re start, the screen will not turn on. I even let the battery run out and then try it. Nothing, just a black screen.
    Is there anything else I can do, or is it really gone forever?
    Is there any way I can get my music off of this ibook? And is there a way I could connect an external screen?

Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I guess I'm gonna just buy a new macbook.

2. macrumors 65816

jodelli

It has a Mini vga port, so with an adapter you can hook up to an external monitor.
    I'm not encouraged by your screen going black though, this was a problem on some G3 iBooks. Sometimes if the graphics chip was carefully reheated the pins would re-seat, but I've seen one that ended up melted down.

3. macrumors 6502a

Firewire target disk mode to get stuff off. Find another mac to connect to.

You may be able to revive the laptop by shimming a certain chip. Googling 'ibook g4 graphics fox' or variations therein will likely help.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice!!