Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Hey all,

Just looking for some guidance to help my Boot Camp install of XP—I successfully partitioned the disk in my new Mac Pro to install XP, but my problem occurs when re-booting to install XP itself. When the machine rebooted the first time to install, it stopped at a black screen with a blinking white cursor, old-school DOS style. Second time when I rebooted and held down Option, it spit out the Windows CD. When I put it back in and it appeared and I tried to select it, it spun up, looked like it was going to work, and then spit it out again, whereupon I got a DOS prompt asking me to put in a bootable volume and press any key. When I inserted the CD, it spun up, but pressing keys on the keyboard did nothing. I tried rebooting again. This time holding option yielded both the Mac HD and the Windows CD (no spitting out!). Taking this as a good sign, I selected the CD and waited. Same black screen with blinking white cursor as last time, no other response, no prompts, never progesses to an installer, pressing keys didn't help.

Has anyone else run into this problem? This is a brand new Mac Pro with the Radeon in it, I have a USB keyboard and mouse hooked up, and it has the latest firmware update. ...Any ideas? :(

EDIT: Seems the CD was bad. Slipstreamed SP2 into my original CD and went. Now I just need to get those ATI drivers.

kdubstat

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2009
Hey all,

Just looking for some guidance to help my Boot Camp install of XP—I successfully partitioned the disk in my new Mac Pro to install XP, but my problem occurs when re-booting to install XP itself. When the machine rebooted the first time to install, it stopped at a black screen with a blinking white cursor, old-school DOS style. Second time when I rebooted and held down Option, it spit out the Windows CD. When I put it back in and it appeared and I tried to select it, it spun up, looked like it was going to work, and then spit it out again, whereupon I got a DOS prompt asking me to put in a bootable volume and press any key. When I inserted the CD, it spun up, but pressing keys on the keyboard did nothing. I tried rebooting again. This time holding option yielded both the Mac HD and the Windows CD (no spitting out!). Taking this as a good sign, I selected the CD and waited. Same black screen with blinking white cursor as last time, no other response, no prompts, never progesses to an installer, pressing keys didn't help.

Has anyone else run into this problem? This is a brand new Mac Pro with the Radeon in it, I have a USB keyboard and mouse hooked up, and it has the latest firmware update. ...Any ideas? :(

EDIT: Seems the CD was bad. Slipstreamed SP2 into my original CD and went. Now I just need to get those ATI drivers.

It sounds like you will need to re install windows. If you need you recover data you can use a boot cd a hold down the C key on start up and recover any documents you my have.

-Dubstat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.