Black screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by floorm, Sep 22, 2006.

1. floorm macrumors newbie

When I switch on my iBook it does start up but the screen stays black. Before this problem appeared it was already working terribly slow and the screen was flashing a bit. Does anyone have any suggestions how to solve this problem?

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Check that your brightness settings aren't at their minimum. (Tap the F2 key a couple of times).

3. floorm thread starter macrumors newbie

That's not the problem. Before I restarted the ibook the colors etc. of the screen where fine but is was flasing and the applications where running very slow. When i restarted it nothing appeared on the screen, it stayed totally black though the computer was staring up.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Hard drive or logic board.

Hard to tell which, at least for me. I'm leaning towards logic board.

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

G3 or G4 ?

The G3 600's and 700's were plagued with bad logic boards that would do just that! Their screen would go black, scrambled, or it would work fine until you tilted the screen or bumped the system wrong.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

If I remember right, there were some G4s that had the same problem. I already had to send in my 1.42 GHz iBook to have the logic board repaired.

7. floorm thread starter macrumors newbie

But I understand from various websites that this problem with the logic board should have appeared within a year. And that there is a scrambled or a white screen instead of a black screen. Or is this not true?

8. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

Yep, the black screen of death happened to my ibook back in July....however I left it in my car for an entire summer last year so I am sure that didn't help matters! :) Sorry it happened...I HATE computer problems!!

9. macgeek77 macrumors regular

It does not matter how old your iBook is in order for your logic board to go (which DOES seem to the be issue). My current iBook G3 had the logic board replaced a litte while ago and it was 3 years old. You might be better off looking at another machine if its out of warrenty and repairing it seems very expensive.

10. ccbsball12 macrumors newbie

have you tried to shock the pram???? this might help your black screen problem and your slowness problem

11. floorm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advise. What is the pram and how do I shock it?!

12. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

The PRAM is basically ... ugh, mad jew where are you....

To reset it: press the Apple (command) key, option key, P, and R while startup.. all at the same time

Resetting the PRAM will reset the firmware to the default settings.

13. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Try starting it in Safe Boot. Hold down the shift key and see if that works, i dont think that it will but the same thing happened to my PM today but a grey screen and it worked so try it.

14. ccbsball12 macrumors newbie

you could also try to to repair the disk permissions, you can do that though in disk utility

15. floorm thread starter macrumors newbie

I just heard from the Apple guys that it is a lose videochip indeed, which is a common problem with this machine. Because of this they have a deal that they repair it free of charge within three years of the purchaes date. Although I bought it a little over three years ago, they will do the job anyway! Which is great because otherwise I would have to pay for getting the logic board replaced or for getting a new computer.

16. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

THats good. Good luck with it once it is back