black streak on my iPod screen!!!! is this normal?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by continuum, Sep 22, 2004.

1. continuum macrumors 6502

continuum

is this a problem or is it normal?
    there appears to be a black streak running down the middle of the LCD display of my ipod. i can't see it when looking directly at it but from the side or an angle i can. i don't have the contrast way low or high...probably where anyone else would have it set to. any thoughts?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Is this a brand new iPod?

3. wide macrumors 6502a

Is the streak one pixel wide? If it is, you probably have a defective screen. I would take it to an AppleStore and have them replace it. Since you have the 4G, your warranty will still cover it.

4. friarbayliff macrumors regular

That's no fun

I would take it to an apple store right away and have them look at it

5. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

yeah it's new. the thing is, like i said, you could pick it up and look at it and it looks fine. it's when you look at the screen from an angle. there are not visible pixels, just this wierd, almost oily streak. it resembles, somewhat, what oil looks like on water as far as the colors go.

6. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

okay, got an answer. it has done that to one of my ipods. (that one later died) It is from direct sunlight i am almost certain.

7. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

My iPod has this as well. Almost has a rainbow kind of look when in certain light. I have been told on this board that it is perfectly normal and typical of LCDs.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

If that is normal, apple let us down. Do all g4's have this? I ordered a 20gig about 2 days ago. I hope mine doesn't have a line. I'll complain.

9. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

10. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

jackieo - direct sunlight would not be an issue because it has never sat in direct sunlight. this i know for sure...it's like i gave birth to the thing and it's my baby. or if you are saying it is only visible in direct sunlight that is not the case either.

grapes - it's not a "line" like pixels are displayed. you wouldn't look at it and say "what's with the line, dude?" it's visible from an angle down the middle of the screen almost in line with the headphone jack. kinda floats.

macdude - i'll post a pic if i can. i honestly don't think it will appear on the photo due to the angle of the shot.

inkmonkey - your response sounds almost valid. now that you mention it...it kinda looks like what happens to an LCD screen when you push on it with your finger and everything gets blurry. this does not affect the actual resolution of the display though.

i'll see if i can snap a pic...

11. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

you can answer your own question

I think you know this is not normal......if it was, no one would be buying iPod's. Obviously, there are always defects that happen. It is usually problems that people post about here, not when things are fine and running perfect.

12. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

An Apple employee told me this was completely normal and refused to replace it. I had called Apple the night before and they told me to bring it in for replacement and the apple dude shut me down. He called me a liar when he said he had the transcripts of the conversation. He refused to show them to me sayin it was employees only, thats why apple support sucks.

13. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

i have a picture of it but am having problems posting it. it says that the file can only be 100kb?! i've seen others post full pages of pics. what do i do?

14. iAppleFan macrumors newbie

FWIW my friend, you have no right to view the transcripts of the conversation. The only way you could view them, would to be have your lawyer get involved and a law suit be filed. It's called the Privacy Act......and Apple support sucks, because they ticked tyou off, not because they are unable to do their job. As a consumer, you should do yourself a favor and read the terms and conditions of a contract/warranty before you purchase.

15. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'd keep calling and complaining. Eventually they will fix it.

16. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

it's funny where this conversation went...i don't even have applecare on the ipod. i bought it at best buy and i have the extended warranty on it so i could just take it back and be done with it...unless best buy tries to jerk me around. anyone can help me with getting the picture posted?

17. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

So sorry. What format are you using? You can get a good size jpeg under 30k.

18. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

jpeg. i have an image i want to post right here in a message...do i do the "manage attachments" option? it's 530kb though. can i compress it or something?

19. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Maybe you should take the picture with a lower resolution. Or, if you have photoshop you could edit it.

20. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

i think lower res would prohibit seeing this streak that i'm talking about....suprised it even shows up on the picture. i don't have photoshop. new to mac as of a couple months ago...still acquiring software. where are you at "outside philly"? I'm from Harrisburg...been in Cali for 2 yrs though.

21. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

22. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm from Ambler. It is the Fort Washington Turn Pike exit.

Edit: is Turn Pike one word?

23. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

is there any way i can just make the picture smaller instead of full screen?

what side of philly would that be...not familiar with ambler. i know conshohocken, west chester, and all those suburbs. used to go see concerts at the tweeter center all the time. i had a friend who used to live on the hill behind the art museum, too.

24. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Um...I really don't know. Sorry.

I'm just 15 mins north of Conshohocken.

25. continuum thread starter macrumors 6502

continuum

i just realized that this thing is visible when the iPod is turned off.. it's not an electronic thing. it must be an assembly thing.. ??