Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
I think black works better with the design of the 6. It's the same reason the watch has a black bezel and screen. The white ones look pretty when the screen is on, but look goofy when the screen is off. And for the Plus, the white ones look very toy-like.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I think black works better with the design of the 6. It's the same reason the watch has a black bezel and screen. The white ones look pretty when the screen is on, but look goofy when the screen is off. And for the Plus, the white ones look very toy-like.

Who cares what anything looks like when you aren't even using it? As for 'goofy', I'm not sure how a black screen with a white bezel could be described that way...

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I prefer the look of the black, but all of my newest devices are white because they don't show fingerprints as much and look cleaner.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I waited months for the white iPhone 4. Then I got the white iPhone 5.

However, I bought a space grey iPhone 6S. Simply because of the plastic lines on its back. On the space grey, it is not too obvious because they are grey also. However on the silver/gold/rose gold, the white lines are too obvious and, I hate to say it, ugly! Especially on the gold/rose gold, the white lines just made the iPhone look ugly to me. Apple should've at least color match them or something.

Reactions: 5105973

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the last black one i had was the iPhone 4 and it got super hot in the summer cuz well ... sun + black surfaces. which i found annoying. i also prefer white front cuz basically the whole UI is white

oh and those fingerprints!

rowdt1

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
The Netherlands
I have the black iPhone 6 and this time around I thought I'd spice it up a bit a go with the white 6s Plus. However, I changed my mind and I'm, again, going with the black one. For these reasons:

1. Black looks more 'business-like'. It's more professional, in my opinion.
2. The bezels blend in nicely with the black colour. The white one still has a black square all around the screen that doesn't 'fit in' with the phone.
3. It's easier to focus on the content (especially when it's dark) when using a black phone. Less distraction.

Also, there are some downsides that you can take into consideration, for example:

1. Black is more prone to finger prints. Although I've used the 6 for a year, this hasn't been any problem to me. Maybe my fingers just aren't that sticky, I don't know.
2. The fingerprint scanner on the white iPhone looks 'better' (completely subjective) because of the silver ring
3. Probably a higher resale value because I think more people will go with the black one. General economics: when more parties offer the same product the price tends to drop. Scarcity of a white version creates a higher demand and thus ups the prices.

Liquinn

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 10, 2011
I have the black iPhone 6 and this time around I thought I'd spice it up a bit a go with the white 6s Plus. However, I changed my mind and I'm, again, going with the black one. For these reasons:

2. The bezels blend in nicely with the black colour. The white one still has a black square all around the screen that doesn't 'fit in' with the phone.
3. It's easier to focus on the content (especially when it's dark) when using a black phone. Less distraction.

Also, there are some downsides that you can take into consideration, for example:

1. Black is more prone to finger prints. Although I've used the 6 for a year, this hasn't been any problem to me. Maybe my fingers just aren't that sticky, I don't know.
2. The fingerprint scanner on the white iPhone looks 'better' (completely subjective) because of the silver ring
3. Probably a higher resale value because I think more people will go with the black one. General economics: when more parties offer the same product the price tends to drop. Scarcity of a white version creates a higher demand and thus ups the prices.
Black IS my favourite colour. I miss the black bezel on my MBA. I know I'll be happier with a black 6S Plus. But the white would make a change.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011

Black IS my favourite colour. I miss the black bezel on my MBA. I know I'll be happier with a black 6S Plus. But the white would make a change.
No offense here. But if black is your favorite color then why do you seemingly refer to Space Gray as black?

Or again, are you talking about the bezels?

If you mean the bezels I totally get it. But if I line my Black/Slate iPhone 5 up next to my Space Gray/Black iPhone 6s+ there is a VERY serious difference between the two colors. There is no way I would ever call Space Gray black - especially not when right next to a color that actually IS black.

rowdt1

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2015
The Netherlands
No offense here. But if black is your favorite color then why do you seemingly refer to Space Gray as black?

Or again, are you talking about the bezels?

If you mean the bezels I totally get it. But if I line my Black/Slate iPhone 5 up next to my Space Gray/Black iPhone 6s+ there is a VERY serious difference between the two colors. There is no way I would ever call Space Gray black - especially not when right next to a color that actually IS black.

Yes, you are right when you say that there is a stark difference between black/slate and space gray, but that's not the point. When OP refers to 'black', I assume he indeed referred to the space gray version. The marketing terms Apple uses to refer to black are currently not in question.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I prefer black bezel as most of my applications carry a black background. The bezel will fade into the back drop.

Also, white distracts me as it prioritizes the attention of my eyes over what I'm meaning to look at. So it annoys me immensely.

Everyone has their own opinion on this.

I do wish Apple would do another color with black bezel, like a product red or darker slate... Wishful thinking.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, you are right when you say that there is a stark difference between black/slate and space gray, but that's not the point. When OP refers to 'black', I assume he indeed referred to the space gray version. The marketing terms Apple uses to refer to black are currently not in question.
I've heard this argument many, many, many times before (since the 5s came out). And I still highly disagree with it.

If we applied this argument to real life then there should be zero problems ordering a gray car, or a gray suite, or anything else that is supposed to be gray and receiving solid black for it - or ordering black and getting light gray!

I understand that this is the "commonly accepted" interpretation but it's a BS one.

Having black tires on my car does not make my car black.

Oh. And Apple refers to the phone as Space Gray/Black. Not Black/Black.

Last edited:
Reactions: braddick

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I waited months for the white iPhone 4. Then I got the white iPhone 5.

However, I bought a space grey iPhone 6S. Simply because of the plastic lines on its back. On the space grey, it is not too obvious because they are grey also. However on the silver/gold/rose gold, the white lines are too obvious and, I hate to say it, ugly! Especially on the gold/rose gold, the white lines just made the iPhone look ugly to me. Apple should've at least color match them or something.
I agree. I love my Rose gold and I love the gold iPhones. But why oh why couldn't they have dyed the antenna lines to blend better? I want to find whoever was responsible for that decision and give them my best grumpy mom scolding!

Reactions: sunking101
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.