black web page

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ja Di ksw, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Hi all, was wondering about web pages not appearing on Macs. I can't seem to open the webpage http://www.life.uiuc.edu/mcb/315/ It won't work on Safari or ie. It comes up black, with a pulldown menu, but the screen won't show anything. It works on winblows (sigh), but not on Macs. Any ideas?

2. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

3. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

It also works fine in Camino, which I think is better and faster than Firefox.

4. pumanyc macrumors newbie

not that this helps you, but its not really your browsers fault. the html has a couple of errors, the most damaging one is the height setting of the frames this page uses ("*%" should just read "*"). some browsers are just more forgiving than others...

5. James L macrumors 6502a

Exactly,

Poorly coded frameset page (the home page). It has no DOCTYPE, no meta information, and even when you add these in and validate it it pops up several errors (as mentioned above). The errors are in loading the frameset page, which is why it isn't loading it all properly. It is loading the top row, but not the second one.

If you want to see the second one that should be loaded in, go here:

http://www.life.uiuc.edu/mcb/315/main.html

That is the page that should be loaded into the bottom half of the frameset. Due to the poor coding it isn't being loaded in Safari. This isn't Safari's fault, it just wasn't fed proper code. Some other browsers go into quirks mode and try to figure out what the coder intended to have happen, other browsers (the really good ones), expect the coder to write things properly to begin with.

Cheers!

6. Ja Di ksw thread starter macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Thank you to everyone that helped, this was some really useful unformation. I can definitely access the webpages now.

Thanks again!!!