black x over batter on macbook/genius appt

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tim2006, Jan 27, 2007.

1. tim2006 macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2006
    bought my mom a MB for christmas. she has a black x over the battery icon. any suggestions? tried to reset pmu and removed battery
  2. phungy macrumors 68020

Dec 5, 2006
    She was a black x? The macbook must have some special powers!

So there is an 'x' over the battery icon, is this when the adapter is plugged in?
  3. daneoni macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    I think the battery is dead (same thing happened to me) and its best to just swap it out for a new one. Seems to be an 'issue' with C2D notebooks.
  4. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2006
    yes with the power adaptor plugged in. computer shuts down when unplugged
  5. oceanmonster macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2007
    I've had the same problem twice. Call up AppleCare or take it to the Apple Store and have them look at it. I've gone through 3 batteries on my CD :apple: MacBook.
  6. tim2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 18, 2006
  7. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    you don't need one, but it's best to make one. if you don't and you go there, there's no guarantee they'll see you.

make your appointment here by selecting the Apple store you plan to visit and filling out the information.
  8. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

Aug 14, 2006
    Likely you have a faulty battery. My girlfriend had the same thing and they simply gave her another battery.

Your best bet is to:

1) Call apple, tell them the problem and you will get a case number.
    2) Make a genius appointment
    3) When you arrive let them know about the case number. This will speed things up and hopefully you will walk away with a new battery.

There's also the possiblilty that when you call apple they will send you out a battery. It's more or less up to you and what's convenient for your lifestyle. But in my experience visiting the genius bar, it's always best to have a case number.

Cheers, Tom