Blackadder Needs Help w/VLC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Lord Blackadder, May 7, 2005.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, I'm off to do 12 weeks of archeology this summer, leaving tomorrow. I don't have a laptop, so I traded computers with my old man, who has an old 300MHz clamshell iBook running Panther (slowly).

All I really NEED it to do is allow me to upload pics from my digital camera and do email. For that it's great; I have a 120GB external USB hard drive to store everything on.

But I got a little ambitious; I'd like to take my beloved Blackadder DVD collection with me. The iBook doesn't have the DVD-ROM, and the DVD Player app is not installed on it. I figured I could rip the DVDs on to the external hard drive with Mac the Ripper and view them with VLC. The rip went fine (did it on my G4 tower), and I can view the ripped DVDs fine with Apple DVD Player. VLC won't do it though. I open the VIDEO_TS folder as a file and it cycles through all the menus and then displays a "main decoder error: decoder is leaking pictures, resetting the heap" error. The menu structure is broken.

I never used VLC for this before (it views the original DVD without issues), is there a way to view the ripped DVD without experiencing this broken menu structure? Alternately, can I install Apple DVD player on the iBook without reinstalling the OS, or can it not be installed on a machine without a DVD drive?

2. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Did you do a "full disc extraction" with MTR?

3. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yeah, I thought that was the most compatible method...

4. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

:eek: :eek: :eek:

... Lord I'm an idiot.

I figured it out; I didn't click the "use DVD menus" button. How I can have missed it after staring at the thing for a half hour I just don't know. I notice now that the first rip I did still has broken menues because I had the "de-macrovision" option checked on MTR, but the others are fine now. Duh.

Well, at least this isn't the dumbest thing I've ever done (don't ask).