Blackberry 8700 or Blackberry Pearl?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mariahlullaby, Mar 11, 2007.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

I'm having a job deciding which version of the Blackberry I want. Since August, I've had the 8700g on T-Mobile, and I really have liked it -- but then it broke. I figured I would just go to T-Mobile and get a replacement, as it is still under warranty, and they pop open the back only to discover that the "water damage" sticker had turned red, meaning at one point water got in (the problem I was having was hardware-related, so it had nothing to do with "water damage," but in any case it voided the warranty).

I was a little short on money last week, but I needed a phone and decided to buy the $100 cheaper Blackberry Pearl and try it out (I've been eying it anyway) since there's a 14-day return policy. They only had white in stock, but I needed a phone, and they said I could come back and exchange it for a black if I wanted later (this T-Mobile is my local one and I've built up a relationship with the salesman there, and he's great and will keep his word -- he was even able to give me a "new customer" deal on the new Blackberry since he said it wasn't my fault I had to buy a new one).

I've been using the Pearl for a week now and I like it a lot -- I like the small form factor, the interface, the expandable memory, etc. But tomorrow I need to go back and either get the black Pearl or the 8700 again.

But I can't decide which one I want now! I sort of miss the keyboard of the 8700, the way it fit so perfectly in my hand, and all that...but I also like the new Pearl and how small and phone-like it is -- but I am afraid the "newness" of the Pearl will wear off and I will miss my 8700. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I had the same dilemma a few weeks ago. I decided to go with the Pearl and I love it. Wasn't hard to get used to the keyboard, and I have very large hands. The 8700 is a brick compared to the Pearl. THe Pearl fits in the change pocket the Nano is supposed to go into. ;)

3. shecky Guest

shecky

i concur; the only thing about the pearl i do not like 150% is the keyboard, but i like the keyboard about 75%. i definetly type slower on the pearl with more mistakes than on a regular desktop keyboard, but i suspect even the 8700 would be slower and more mistake prone than a desktop keyboard as well.

everything else is fantastic, and i think that unless you do the majority of your emailing on your handheld the extra size + price is not really worth going to the 8700.

4. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I think it's funny that you said the 8700 fits so perfectly in your hand. I love my Pearl, only because I'm a girl and the 8700 was just too big. I would stick with the Pearl, but that's just me.

5. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

Haha, well I guess I meant how I loved the shape of the 8700 -- where the buttons, the scrollwheel, the grips on the side, etc were just perfect. I am a girl as well, but navigating the Pearl I think is a little trickier, but I've gotten used to it. But yes, the 8700 was just huge in my pocket.

Anyways, thank you for all the advice everyone...I am still leaning towards keeping the Pearl :p

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I have a Pearl and absolutely love it. Never tried any other BB though, but I'd stick with the Pearl.

7. hoop macrumors member

It sounds as though you've already made your mind up, but I must say that the Pearl keyboard just doesn't do it for me. The reason I got my BB was to email/surf on the move, and the QWERTY keyboard just makes that a lot easier. Plus, for some reason, every time I hit a key on my 8700 I get a little shiver of pleasure. I think it's because it's slightly painful :D

8. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

Yeah, it is trickier to navigate through the Pearl but maybe it's because you're used to the 8700. My dad switched to a Pearl from an older BB, I think it was the 7250, and he had a hell of a time learning how to navigate through it. I do like the scroll wheel on the 8700 though. It feels really natural to use. I was thinking I wish the Pearl had it, but then it wouldn't be a Pearl.

Anyway, it's past your return date. Which one did you choose!?

9. Metatron macrumors 6502

Metatron

PEARL!!! I have had mine for three weeks and can't get over how amazing it is. It is my first blackberry, but I have owned many smartphones. I did look at other's but having the size of an Motorola L2 in my pocket with the power of the 8800 is just something I can't get over.

Get the black pearl. At the very least, you can always ebay it later and go back to the 8800 or 8700 for little out of pocket expense.

10. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

11. skrutzen macrumors regular

Yeah, iPhone whips a BB, the problem is that Cingular sucks. Aside from that, I would wait because soon the BB 8800 (possibly Wi-Fi enabled) will be available at T-Mobile. Also, the BB 8300 is on its way as well (8800 will be available sooner though)so you might want to consider that one as well.

I actually went into T-Mobile about 3 weeks ago to check out the Dash and ended up buying that. I love the form factor and the specs. I had the 8700g as well, and the sales guy even tried to persuade me not to switch. I did and for the first couple of days I was really hesitant but I'm absolutely hooked now. The size is perfect for me. The 8700 seems like a boat anchor to me now.

12. hoop macrumors member

Uh, aside from the fact that it's not even out :confused: