Blackberry / Bluetooth question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iSaint, Apr 7, 2006.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

My wife's employer gave her a Blackberry with Bluetooth, and a Dell Inspiron. They are extremely cautious about their uses and limit their accessibility across many formats. Her problem (she doesn't seem to care, I'm trying to teach her ease of use) is wanting to get a database of over 1,000 contacts from a spreadsheet (or csv or whatever) onto her Blackberry. Her employer does not have a way to import the contacts into their company database.

I'm thinking I install the Bluetooth software, import the database we have, and run a synchronization one time. Then, hopefully, it will sync a second time with her company database and place those contacts on her computer.

Anyone have any experience with this quandry? Do you think it will work?

Thanks in advance...

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Are the contacts actually in a spreadsheet, or are they in some other application that may sync with the BlackBerry Desktop software (like Outlook or something)?

I have a BlackBerry, and don't know of any way to do what you're asking directly - import from a spreadsheet/csv into the BB address book. If there is such a method, I'd be interested in it, but can't find any information that says it's possible.

3. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

The contacts are in a spreadsheet.

Perhaps I could import them into Outlook then run a sync to the BlackBerry. She doesn't use Outlook, she uses the company's online web email.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, whenever you're dealing with a company influence, it's a pain. Mine's through my company, and I can't install or use third-party web browsers (the Cingular "browser" is horrendous).

This may mean that you can't sync with multiple address books as well.

One thing I tested (although it will be a bit of a pain with 1000 addresses) - you can export the files as a single vcf file out of Outlook or Address Book and e-mail it to the BlackBerry. On the BB it will show up as all of the users and you can fairly easily add them to the BB from there. You might want to test it on a small number of them at a time.

5. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I downloaded Palm desktop, imported the CSV file into that, then exported those contacts to a VCF file. These then imported into her company address book with ease. Although I will say there have been a number of items placed in the wrong field. With a little work, it's easier than placing them all in one by one.

6. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I sync my bb 8700c with outlook, it works flawlessly. You might wipe it clean and try importing to outlook. It should not affect the company's setup, it will only add her contacts to her company address book.

Edit: Unfortunately, BB Bluetooth does not support file transfers to my knowledge. Only headsets. That is my only gripe!

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Glad you found a fairly easy way around the issue. Hopefully your wife appreciates it!