BlackBerry Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lexus, Jun 7, 2006.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Hi there, I need some help deciding what BlackBerry I should get and was also wondering how Mac Compatible they are. As for deciding which to get it should basically be high end and not have a small useless screen.

Thanks

2. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

Hey!

I just purchased the 8700 and love it. I've always liked the look original (not real original, but the one that was the first BIG success) and the 8700 is in that style, but updated and smaller - more phone like. The 7100 series (I think) are less wide but have each key sharing two letters whereas the 8700 has a full keyboard. Depending on how long you can wait, the new one that is coming out soon (7130e or c or something) is reeeally nice. It is basically an 8700 (features/tech specs) but with the two-letter keyboard. It is much smaller than the older 7100s). You can find info and some pics on various gadget web-sites. My friend has one and I really do like it. If you can wait even longer, apparently they're releasing a more consumer-oriented line before/around Christmas that could have a camera and media functions.

As for compatibility, I have had no problems using PocketMac's software. It will sync iCal, Address Book, Sticky Notes and Entourage. I'm not sure what the protocol for promoting other sites on here but [www.blackberryforums.com] has a forum dedicated for mac users. The only draw back is that you cannot load software, images, audio etc via the Mac and cannot use Bluetooth to sync. If you have the intel macs then of course you can just use Boot Camp, install the Blackberry software and use Windows to properly mange your device AND be able to load in images and software.

3. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Thanks alot I will let you know how it goes, anyone here has any experience with the Nokia E91?

4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

I second the vote for the 8700... I've been using mine for about 3 months now and it's been great... Battery life is good, reception is good, and the screen with the built in sensor is incredible... The holster is a bit awkward to use, but you get used to it... I also sync w/ Pocketmac and have not had any problems... I've heard of people having issues w/ Pocketmac, but I've had none...

I replaced my Treo 650 with the BB and it was one of the best moves I've made... The Treo was nothing but a constant headache- between the daily crashes, and the syncing problems I had to exercise supreme will power not to roof that thing on a regular basis... The BB has NONE of those issues...

5. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

I have the 7130e and have been very happy with it(except at my office, but no one's cell phones work well there). The Pocketmac software is free due to a partnership between RIM and Pocketmac. My only complaint is that so far the only thing I can't do is use my phone as a modem in OSX, which you can do on the PC.

6. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

Sorry I meant E61

7. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

I went with the E61 in the end, I will tell you how it goes after a bit of use.

8. mrzeve macrumors 6502a

Does anyone here use EDGE with the 8700? If so, are the speeds really that much different?

9. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

In general EDGE is faster than GPRS but slower than UTMS. Unfortunately EDGE speeds fluctuate alot.

10. lars8585 macrumors newbie

i have an BB8830 and am trying to sync my ical to it with pocketmac....I did this and it continually stops half way through and only random days of the calendar actually make it to the BB....any advice?