Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Blackberry?

As one in the business world as well as the creative world, I don't believe I know a single person that has ONLY a blackberry.

I know plenty of people with Blackberrys (blackberries?) because it is mandated by their different works, but they all have an additional "normal" phone, mostly an iphone or Samsung something or other.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
lol I guess you two enjoy a very small, small reality.

I can't worry about what works for anybody else. If it doesn't work for me, then I need something else that does. Another man's experience with iMessage does nothing to get my messages sent correctly.

Well if you don't have an internet connection, it will send it as text.
Blame your provider, not apple.

This has happened on both wifi and LTE. Both with STRONG signals.

So what? Did the message get there? Why does the method of transport matter (assuming you have some kind of decent texting plan )

Yes, why should I expect Apple's messaging solution to work as advertised when I have a strong signal?

Last edited:

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World
I cannot honestly remember the last time I saw (or noticed) a Blackberry in the wild. Only seem to see iPhones, Samsungs and HTC's everywhere I look.

I also do not know anybody in my circle of friends and contacts who has a BB anymore.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
I find it weird that people are saying "but BBM was down for 4 days last year!"

when iMessages was down for multiple days already this year. >_>;

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Whatsapp is cross-platform and supports multimedia.
It's not cross-platform to me if it only works on phones. Can't use it on tablets. Can't use it on macs. Can't use it on PCs. Can't use it on two phones aside from treating it like two separate accounts.

As for multi-media that is good for photos. Video? Horrible size limitation and the app has no ability to downsize to fit into its size limitation. So video is great if you shoot for 2 seconds. Basically good for pics only.

Michael

afourtrackmind

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2010
Wow, lots of haters on this thread

Seems a lot of people are taking the same stance as blackberry did 5 years ago. They learned from their hubris. BBM has been the defacto standard which all messaging platforms benchmark to. The reason is because it is so good. This is good for everybody involved except iMessage, whats app and hangouts.

Don't hate when everybody benefits, it's just a waste of energy.

I recommend any of you to try out bb10. I had no trouble trading my iphone for it. It reminds me of when OSX was released. It had to be better than windows, and we all know that it is.

Well, bb10 has to be better than iOS. And in many instances, it is. I'm looking forward to seeing how ios 7 turns out. But as it stands, bb10 is better. This is my educated opinion. Lets hope it starts a fire under apple's arse so they release all the features the iphone is capable of, instead of neutering it and bread crumbing customers to the next model. Just sayin.

neil1980

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2008
5 years ago this would have been news... now I don't know anyone with a Blackberry so have no need for it.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Too Late!

If this had been released 3-4 years ago as a unified multi-platform messenger it would have rocked!! Blackberry, iOS, and Android users could all message. But now there's a ton of apps that do this. Facebook, Google Hangouts, Yahoo, Whatsapp, etc. BBM is too little too late.

Worldwide I think BBM is still sends many times more messages than iMessage every hour. But here in USA iMessage is the #1 messenger.

For me, I only have a small handfull of people that I message with on a regular basis that arent on iphones. And for those few people I just use SMS/MMS.

Apple Mac Daz

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2011
Manchester
They would have to. It ticks me off that whatsapp is one-device-only. If that is the case with BBM for iOS it will be a fail.

Michael

Well if it does work on ipad my son would be well happy with this.

He has a s3 mini but still uses a blackberry for bbm because all his school friends still use bbm in the UK

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
contrary to popular belief...there is still a market outside the USA...

if BB plays its cards right, this could resurface as the go to messaging app cross platform when whatsapp goes to its yearly subscription pricing.

fb messenger sucks, hangouts is meh imo, iMessage is only iDevice.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Try 60 million, still one of the most popular platforms internationally.

True, but in places like Mexico, Africa, India, Middle East. In industrialized nations its behind even Win phone. USA/Canada, Europe, China, Japan, Korea, etc BB has just about zero market share. Android and iOS have 90%+ smartphone market share.

4 yrs ago this would have kicked ass. Today, not so much.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I can't worry about what works for anybody else.
But you do realize that your personal experience with iMessage has very little to do with global iMessage service quality? This is basic logic.

This has happened on both wifi and LTE. Both with STRONG signals.
Yes, why should I expect Apple's messaging solution to work as advertised when I have a strong signal?
Signal strength and network quality are so very completely different things. ::sigh::

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
This will be huge in latin america and outside of the states, people here (caribbean) love blackberrys and the cheap bb social plans, if they want to use whatsapp or the likes they need a full data plan wich most dont fancy when the social cost around 1 dollar or less (prepaid they top-up daily) and now they can chat with android, idevices and maybe in the future windows phone over bbm at the same cheap price.

I agree they should have released this long time ago but better late than never, this might kill whatsapp specially if its free and doesnt require the other person to have your phone number, you just give your PIN to people you want to chat.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
But you do realize that your personal experience with iMessage has very little to do with global iMessage service quality? This is basic logic.

Signal strength and network quality are so very completely different things. ::sigh::

http://www.intomobile.com/2013/04/09/apple-confirms-imessage-and-facetime-not-working-some-users/

Yes, I'm the ONLY person who's had a problem with iMessage. Complaints about it have never arisen. So spare me the "basic logic" condescending BS. A simple Google search on "iMessage not working" will show that this is hardly an isolated incident. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
About iMessage

It's fairly cross platform. Works on macs (10.8 at least), tablets, ipod touches, and iphones at ios5+. This comprises what 99% of total market share lol.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
The best I can tell is that it is about "mind share" for US folks, try and keep the BB name/brand in people's minds and MAYBE those people will think of BB when they go to purchase a new device down the road.

That's countered by the fact they just removed one of the key reasons for switching (or staying on) BB10. They'd have to gain significant brand power to make up for lost revenue. That's a big gamble.

Outside of the consumer space they could make an enterprise software play where BBM would be one of the apps in the suite that a company could buy for employee collaboration (some branch of BBM designed for enterprise specifically).

This makes sense. I wonder what the market potential for this is

BBM has a shot if Apple doesn't bring iMessage to Android. There's a niche here that hasn't been filled. There are a few attempts -- iMessage, Whatsapp, etc. But they all fail to cover the commonly available platforms, or they lack multimedia ability.

Apple doesn't make iMessage platform agnostic because you don't commoditize your own market. Instead you leverage features like iMessage as product differentiators to strengthen your brand. BB just went the other way, which makes no sense to me unless they eventually plan on exiting the hardware business entirely.

rei101

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
I may have two BB contacts I do not have in my iPhone, and I do not actually care much. If I free, its ok.

ZeRoLiMiT

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2010
Southern California
I think people will download it and try it. Everyone has their own preference so when it comes out everyone choose either iMessage, BBM, Whatsapp, Hangouts, SMS or whatever you like you will use that simple!

I like iMessage so far NO problems here! but i've had a few friends turn it off and use regular txt so like I said everyone has their preference.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I'm probably switching to this when it comes out. That is especially the case if it allows screen share. I want to get off of the SMS cycle. I want to be able to keep my notifications of SMS set to silent, while having select folks as VIPs be able to access me by a message app (and that app would be set to have notifications and for certain people screen lock level notification). I'd like to get delivery confirmation and read receipt as well. I'm happy to eventually be paying something like what Whats App does which is charge a dollar or two per year. Then I could cancel my $5 per month SMS service.

But no way BBRY has it together enough to be launching this product this month.

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
http://www.intomobile.com/2013/04/09/apple-confirms-imessage-and-facetime-not-working-some-users/

Yes, I'm the ONLY person who's had a problem with iMessage. Complaints about it have never arisen. So spare me the "basic logic" condescending BS. A simple Google search on "iMessage not working" will show that this is hardly an isolated incident. :rolleyes:

Spare you the basic logic BS? When you go from implying that your experience reflects global iMessage service, to joking that you're only one who's had a problem with it? Then you throw out some article that basically refutes your original statement?

I'm afraid you've yet to realize that both the success and failure of iMessage hardly revolve around what you think you know about it.

Do you actually think I believe that iMessage is ironclad?

Here's some condescending BS: iMessage sucks for you, and is just fine for plenty of others. Get over it.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Note that there were some silly rumors a little while ago that WhatsApp thought it was worth $1 billion. If this App replaces WhatsApp (which it might because it is more secure and it might have more features), then BBRY is going to find a way to monetize this thing.

scottw324

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
What's a Blackberry??? :D

Everyone I know has either an Android phone or iPhone. iMessage works great for my iPhone users and the people that have Android, they get a text. Unless BBM is going to bring some kind of really new feature like screen sharing, etc.... then I don't see what I am going to use this for. Someone sends me a text because they do not use BBM but someone else does. Unless my messages can be consolidated into one app, regardless of how they send me the message then I am good with iMessage. iMessages and Text come in to the stock iOS Messages app. Works well enough for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.