Blackberry Pearl questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yg17, Nov 15, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

We're switching to T-Mobile in December, and I was planning on keeping my w810i that I use on Suckgular since it's unlocked, but the Pearl caught my eye and now I'm really considering one. Few questions:

1. How well does it work with Macs? Can I sync iCal to it, and does OSX recognize it when its plugged into a USB port? I'm not really concerned with syncing contacts or e-mails, just calendars.

2. How does e-mail work? I've 3 accounts, GMail, an IMAP account, and an IMAP/Exchange account (either one of the 2 can be used for that 3rd account). GMail, I'm content with using their WAP site. But the other accounts, do I just add those accounts to the phone and I can check them just like any other email client on a computer? Whats e-mail push that I hear about?

3. Can I tether it with my Mac to use it as an EDGE modem? If so, what sort of speeds can I realistically expect?

4. Are there any MSN and AIM clients for the Pearl that use data? I know some use SMS to send and receive messages which isn't cheap, but if I get the Pearl, I'm getting the $20/month data plan and would like to use data for IMing since it won't cost extra

Thanks.

2. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Well Cingular is far better then T-Mobile, but thats a different topic :D

1. The Blackberries (now) sync perfectly with the Macs. RIM purchased PocketMac for Blackberries and has made it available for free. For a long time they were running version 3.0 which was pretty bad, but version 4.0 has been released and it works GREAT.

2. The push email on the Blackberry works like no other. Don't let someone else try and tell you different. The speed and ease of syncing with up to 10 different accounts at all times is amazing. WAP access...never again!

3. Technically, yes you can do this...I am not sure of all the T-Mobile specifics, but working for Cingular for a number of years (no longer) has given me some insight. Basically all you will need are some of the internal networking settings for t-mobile (APN, username, password)...take Cingular for example:

APN: WAP.CINGULAR
    User: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Pass: CINGULAR1

4. Yes, there are probably about 3-4 decent IM programs for the Blackberry that are free and will route traffic through your data plan. There is also the Blackberry Messenger for messaging between Blackberries (works great).
    [/LIST]

3. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Not in St. Louis. I'd be better off with 2 tin cans and a string.

So what is email push anyways?

4. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

How good is the Pearl as a music phone?

I have another question:

How well does the music player work? I am also interested in the BlackBerry pearl, but I read that the music features were awkward to use. Is this true? Can someone who owns a Pearl comment?

5. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Lol...I think the problem lies with that Sony phone you are using.

The Blackberry push email client is basically a system that monitors whichever mailboxes you ask it do (continuously) and whenever a new email is detected, it "pushes" it directly to your Blackberry via their PIN messaging system.

The advantage here is you get all your emails the moment they would have arrived on your computer...you don't have to set it like your PocketPC or Palm device to check your mailboxes every 30 minutes-1 hour.

6. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

No, because my old Motorola phone and my parents LG phones have the same problem too. My sister has TMo and has no problems whatsoever

7. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Well different markets to have varying coverage...I was just giving you a hard time by the way ;)

8. srphoto macrumors member

Does syncing perfectly mean that u can sync mail, ical, and address book? As well as drag and drap songs and make playlist for the mp3 player?

9. dwreck macrumors member

I thought T-Mobile uses Cingular's network.

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

^ only in a few areas.

The BlackBerry push email is truly fantastic. It is second to none. It basically works just like a phone call -- you get an email as soon as it is sent, just like you get a phone call as soon as someone places it. I have four email addresses tied to my BlackBerry and it is invaluable. It's great for instant messaging and web browsing too.

All that said, I still wouldn't call syncing with the Mac flawless. PocketMac 4.0 is a lot better, but it's still caused some people problems. And there's no mechanism for loading desktop software on the device via OS X; you still need a Windows installation and the real RIM software to do that.

However, if you're looking for a mobile email solution, nothing comes close to the BlackBerry. It's the Apple of the mobile world. Solid, powerful, easy to use.

11. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Hold on there partner, are you saying I can use my bb 8700c as a modem with my existing Cingular data plan? I would be very interested in figuring out how to do it. Care to post a step-by-step, and what cable I might need (since 8700 bluetooth doesn't support data transfers.)

Thanks for any help you can give!

12. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Take caution...some people who have been caught using their devices as modems on plans where it's not supposed to be allowed get charged up the ass by Cingular. I know a guy who was doing it for months and then they caught him and he suddenly got a $2,700 bill.

13. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I wouldn't mind paying for it, but I do already pay for an unlimited data plan, and to my knowledge, and I have called to ask, Cingular doesn't say it can't be done, but they don't support it. How could they charge someone for something they don't offer? Just curious. I would be happy to pay for the connection if they offered it.

14. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Blackberry 7130g?

Anyone using the BLACKBERRY 7130G? My provider Cellular One carries these and the Treo 650. The BB 7130G is on sale for $275 less than the Palm 650. I'm hoping for the Treo 680, but my Cellular One is usually 6 months + behind. The Razer has been out what, nearly three years? We've had them here a little over a year...

My main use would be Calendar (iCal) and Contacts (Address book). Should I jump or wait?

Thanks!

Coachingguy

15. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

Well, it looks like you can tether the blackberry, but you do have to pay. They do offer a plan, and it is $79.99 for both tethering and unilmited data (on handheld) together. Don't know if it works with a Mac, but too expensive for me. I don't think my office would pay for that option.

Attached Files:

16. MariAlayne macrumors newbie

IM for blackberry pearl

Is there some free programs that will allow you to receive AIM, YIM on your blackberry pearl even as a cingular user. I have the unlimited BB plan, but Cingular told me I had to pay for messaging

Thanks
    MariAlayne

17. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

I used JiveTalk when I had a blackberry pearl on cingular. Uses the data plan, but it might not be free anymore:

www.beejive.com

18. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I'm with T-Mobile and love my BlackBerry Pearl. It costs a lot less for bis than Cingular and I don't buy into the push deal. I have 2 imap and 1 pop3 account and I get my messages quicker than my Mac. Does real good on MR as well. In fact I'm typing on it right now :)

[edit] crap, I just realized this thread came back from the dead :eek: