Blackberry Rights Issue?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by rockandrule, Jan 23, 2006.

1. rockandrule macrumors 6502

Does anyone know exactly what patent they infringed upon? It would really piss me off if the government shut off my electronic device because the company screwed up. Anyone got the low-down?

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

these patents also keep apple products cool and innovative, if there was nothing to protect inventors there would be less innovation in the world because there would be no financial gain in it.

it has to do with how the blackberry receives e-mail and message and the system they use. i don't know they exact patient number, but you google around or look at the brief that was filled with the SC.

3. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

LOL. I was on another planet when I saw the title of this post ( watching the Canadian election results ) - I was thinking Blackberry the berries.
    Rights for Blackberries - wtf?!! A joke thread obviously.

Anyway, the BBC had an article today about a recent court ruling:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4640438.stm

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, i think someone patented sending and receiving email from a portable device using the system BlackBerry currently uses, but I think it's stupid that someone could patent emailing, even from a portable device.

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I can't imagine the impact this would have on people, businesses, as my wife just received a Blackberry from her employer.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think I would wet myself laughing if the BB services actually got switched off :D

7. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I have been using one for a while, and love it. I would not want to be without it. A couple of notes: 1., I believe the issue is whether international companies that develop or use software (i.e. RIM Blackberry in Canada) that when they start using it in the US infringes on another (US) company's patent is legal or not. The judges in VA have said "yes" it is patent infringement. RIM tried to settle with them, a relatively small comany for over $400million, when a judge rejected the settlement. Instead, the company NTP is reaping over 5% of blackberry sales in the US (from another ruling). Sooo...the companies both have good reason to sort this out, if the judge would just get out of the way.

2. Blackberry says they have developed a "work around" software to use for US customers incase they have to bypass the NTP patent.

Unfortunately, it is not about the consumer, just about the money.

8. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Clean up aisle 4.

Security Security
    Aisle 4.