Blackberry vs. Treo?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by aricher, Apr 28, 2005.

1. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

My wife is looking to buy a Blackberry or Treo to use for work. She needs to check her email when on the road and be able to access web pages regularly. If she can use it as a phone as well and ditch her Moto all the better - we have Cingular as our provider. She has also expressed interest in being able to dock the device into a keyboard for faster inputting. She has seen people with Palms do this and was hoping BB or Treo have similar input options. Price really isn't a problem as her work will probably pick up the tab.

Does anyone here have experience with Blackberries or Treos? What are the main differences/advantages? Thanks in advance for the help.

2. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

I am more partial to the Blackberry just because Palm's customer service sucks.

3. josepho macrumors regular

The Blackberry technology is largely based around the idea of "push-email", which means that emails come to you almost instantly, rather than you physically have to check your email. I use a Blackberry 7230 and find the email service to be excellent. Basically I have my Gmail account forward all incoming mail to my provider-supplied Blackberry email address, which means that I literally get them within seconds of them being sent. I also have it check my university POP3 account -- POP3 accounts are polled every 15 minutes, so there may be a little delay, that's why I prefer forwarding. Although different BBs exist, they are all aimed primarily at fulfilling this function.

The Treo, however, is more of a regular PDA/phone. It will, of course, fulfill the role of checking email, being a phone, like the BB, but will lack the push functionality (which, must be noted, does usually incur an additional monthly charge). I suppose it depends how much your other-half will be using her device as a phone vs. a pda vs. an email centre. I have a reasonable amount of experience with such devices (Sony Ericsson P900, now P910i, O2 XDA, now XDA II, Blackberry 7230 & I work in a mobile phone shop) and in general what I find is that there does not yet exist a device which really does well all of what you want. Devices which are great as phones (I find the SE Pxx0 range pretty good here) are never quite such great PDAs, good PDAs (like the XDA range) aren't great phones, and I find Blackberries pretty niche, in that they're great for email, but don't make brilliant phones or PDAs. FYI, I usually carry my SE P910i & my Blackberry as I feel they're both necessary, as neither fully does the job of the other.

Any more questions, don't hesitate.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I have a Blackberry 7230 too, got it for the email. Excellent device, tough as nails too. The battery lasts forever. I love it. But if you want a PDA, then look elsewhere.

5. MavsManiAAC macrumors newbie

MavsManiAAC

I'm a Treo man

I have been using Treo's since the 300 model (Sprint PCS) and have owned both the 600 and currently the 650. The Treo can be easily set up to check for e-mail automatically, eliminating the need for the Blackberry's push feature. Also, the keyboard on the Treo is very easy to use, and your wife will also have access to the wide range of software available for PalmOS. The 650 is a nice size to carry around, and the user interface is, in my opinion, light years better than the non-touchscreen Blackberry. The 650 also has bluetooth capability...I'm not sure if the Blackberry models offer that yet or not. The 650 does have an external keyboard available but once she gets used to typing on the thumboard on the phone itself I doubt she will feel the need for anything else...it really works quite well. The Treo has become so handy I have deployed it to all the employees in my company. I highly recommend it!

6. josepho macrumors regular

The interface on the BBs is very straightforward, so I think simple is best in that respect. Some of the more recent BBs do have Bluetooth, but not all. For security reasons the Bluetooth is limited to voice traffic, no data.

7. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

ive owned a blackberry 7100T when it first came out and i have a few praises and complaints. I dont know if it was just because i got it when it first came out but the OS kept crashing. and when it crashes, i needed to send the phone back to the factory cause i cant reinstall the OS from a mac. This happened to me 3 times in a row, talk about pain in the ass. ever since then, i got rid of it. i dont really hear of that complaint anymore so im guessing its cause i had an early model.

The interface on the blackberry is awesome! very straight forward and simple to use. i know blackberrys can now sync to macs, unlike previous when i owned mine. and the brick buster game is by fast the best iver ever played!!!

Although the blackberry can surf the internet, i wouldnt recommend it. it is the best phone ive used for web surfing, however its now good enough. the internet is slower than dial up, some pages do not load at all, and of that most of the pages that load do not show properly making it very hard to navigate the website.

My cousin has the treo 600 and although i dont have much experience with it, it is much more like a PDA.

8. Advance The Man macrumors 6502

I can attest like Slipper and his B-berry, the Treo can be a pain in the A$$.

If you are only going to use it for email, get teh B-berry. If you are wanting to do a lot of extras like internet, 3rd party apps like Doc to Go (Word, Excel), games, etc. go with Treo.

Just realize the Treo is like a baby needing constant care. It will crash. Most of the time it's only soft resets (1x - 2x a week), but sometimes it can be hard resets (1x every 2 or 3 mos).

I've only had my Apple for a couple of weeks and I've yet to have a smooth and complete sync. Right now the apple doesn't recognize the Treo. I will have to research the problem on treocentral.com.

9. aricher thread starter macrumors 68020

aricher

Thanks for all the input. Looks like my wife will have to decide what is more important: email or web. Her IT department will have to let her know what they support the best as well. After poking around on the net I see that the Treo 650 is a tad better than the 600 especially on Cingular due to Cingular's implementation of EDGE technology. From one review: "EDGE data service, making it one of the first communicators to take advantage of the faster service. In practice the EDGE connection was considerably faster on data transfer than either GPRS or 1xRTT."

It looks like Cingular also supports and sells the Siemens SX66. It might be good for my wife to have the ability to open word and excel docs.That and the Siemens has somehting the others don't - WiFi. It doesn't have high-speed EDGE network support though. The reviews on this have been mixed though. Does anyone know anything about this? No flames on the Windows Mobil OS please - her office is all PC-based.

Siemens SX66:
    Unique slider design, QWERTY keyboard
    Connectivity: WiFi (802.11b), Bluetooth®, USB, and wireless data transfer via infrared interface (IrDA)

Edit; I just found a review that claims that the Treo can "edit Microsoft Office documents in their original formatting, using a free program that can be installed from the included CD-ROM."